New Lock advice

bigjimfoy
bigjimfoy Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
I have just bought a second hand scott scale 30 with a carbon frame which will be used for a mixture of cycling to work and weekend madness!! I just need advice on what is the beast performing lock for the £50 mark and whether using a bracket for it on the bike would damage the carbon frame?
Note: I have a new bike because i had my last one stolen so i am prepared to spend a little more if i have too.
Thanks
Jim

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Best to carry it in a backpack. Have a look at getting something like a Krytonite New York 3000 and a cable lock. Or on a budget. Or this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0010VLO4E/r ... B0010VLO4E

and a cable.

But see what the insurers say too.
  • bigjimfoy
    Thanks for that. Was hoping to avoid the backpack route but i guess its the price to pay!!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    What do you need the lock for? At home? Going to the shops? Trail centres? Commuting?

If commuting, you could leave the lock at work. Trail centres, you could have it in the car (unless you ride there).

If you're just popping to the shops you could probably get away with something robust but portable - you only need something to stop an opportunist with bolt croppers unless you're spending a long time in the shop.

I always found carrying a D lock in a backpack easier than using a frame bracket, the lock always rattled or wobbled around.
  • bigjimfoy wrote:
    Thanks for that. Was hoping to avoid the backpack route but i guess its the price to pay!!

You could always leave the lock at work?
  • bigjimfoy
    thanks guys,

leaving the lock at work was always going to be the easier thing. Only that i know i will keep forgetting to take it with me before my days off!! 2 locks will be the way forward (D lock for work and robust but portable for out and about.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Do you not carry a change of clothes, and some food to work in a rucksack anyway?