Mt Chery Gnome Trail, Les Gets, headcam

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited July 2012 in Your pics and vids
Put thistogether for someone else so they could find the trail, thought I might as well stick it here. I'd like to point out that the first run in the video was our first run down there, and it's very steep and rooty in places. Much fun :)

I also just realised that I should have put music on it so that you couldn't hear my commentary/choking on a fly near the end :lol: Sorry for the language...
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I rode that a good few years back I think (or at least somethign ver similar that came out on the old DH track up there - I thought the one I did was called Gollum but I could just have misheard) - I sprained my ankle dabbing a foot down on one of the early steeps and had to ride the rest barely able to put any weight on my foot.

Was particulalry fun in the corkscrew section of the DH track where the braking bumps were enormous and the rain had washed a channel ot in the middle of the berms.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah, It has two names from what I can gather, people either call it the gnome trail or gollum.

Awesome bit of trail, really like the main black run as well. Rode it on a couple of occasions, the first of which was soaking wet, that chute at the bottom was absolutely mental! Crashed on my first run down it and couldn't even get back up it was that steep/slippy. The other times I just ended up drifting down it with one foot out haha. Those berms at the bottom are horrible in the dry as well, so many braking bumps!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    The upper bit of that course (back when the second chairlift used to run for bikes and take you to the summit) was a terrific wide open DH course that sent you intot he trees at pace - they really tore the heart out of that run when they cut off the top section and then started building loads of ladders and stuff int he trees lower down.

If you head round the other side of the gondola and hunt around you can still find some of the old Worlds course from 2004 (I think) - there is a remnant of one of the road gaps left up there and to stand next to it and think about clearing that put the willies up me. Ignoring those bits which have ride arounds anyway, that's quite a fun little decent but on the whole I find Les Gets a little disappointing to ride - much prefer over toward chatel and the returns to Morzine to the short course stuff in LG albeit that the Canyon was one of my favourites and the rooty little gnar fest that cut off left from the third or fourth turn on the original par tof the plenney DH course was a gem too.
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I spent a LOT of time riding the canyon. I'm definitely a fan of the rooty tech stuff, found some really daft stuff off to the left of chavannes after the road as well. Golf course is ace as well. In fact there's a lot of good trails up there! I do find the fast manicured trails a little boring, that's why I quite liked mont chery, it's a bit more technical than the others.
    I only got to ride the other lifts on the last day, but I found an awesome steep techy red trail in chatel, next to air voltage. That was probably one of my favourites of the fortnight!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    There's a DH trail in Chatel proper (off the Super Chatel gondola) that is called Red but its a black run (confused me and my mates when we tried it on a rainy day on some old Kona Coilers!) full of drops, stttttteeeeeep corkscrewing turns and a shed load of other horrific obstacles! We slid down a lot of it either by choice or as a consequence of not knowing how to tackle it - it was designed by Anne Caro and is killer. I have ridden it better since (actually on less of a bike) but its an interesting ride!

The bike park I work at is famed for its manicured runs and the berm, jump, berm, berm jump trails are fun but I still prefer the old school singletrack with roots and rough stuff in it - half the people here thing I am crazy when I say that!