Some questions

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I have an assortment of questions, if anyone has some information then I would much appreciated it.

1: When cycling for distance's I struggle to keep my back flat for the whole time. By this I mean I cant keep my body low, in a hands across the hoods style position. I get pains in my stomach and shoulders. What sort of excessive can I do to strengthen these areas?

2: How useful would it be to get a turbo ? I potentially can get one but is it an efficient way of training?

3: Is purchasing a Strava compatible device worth while? Or is the masking tape on my stem with numbers (elevation of climbs and directions) all that's needed? I'm not to fussed about the racing element time. If so which device?

4: I have £1000 to spend on cycle to work. What do you recommend?

5: When sprinting is it more efficient to rock the bike or keep it steady?

I'm sure there's more but I'm distracted by the Tour.

Comments

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    My 2 pennies worth on a couple of your questions:

1; sounds like you're in a position too short for you - longer stem? Saddle/handlebar adjustment? You shouldn't need to excercise specific muscle groups to allow you to ride comfortably.

2; very useful, especially in winter (if you can ever distinguish between winter and summer, which i seem to be struggling with in this pants weather!)

4; there's loads to choose from at this pricepoint, do a bit of home work and go visit some shops

5; i'd be VERY suprised if you could sprint effectively without rocking the bike. Keeping it steady will take up effort you could otherwise put into the pedals - plus you'll look a bit 'special'.......keep an eye out for anyone holding their bike steady during the sprints of the tour.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    1. It sounds like the bike is not the right size for you, like FunBus said maybe your stem is too long/short/low. When you buy your new bike do so from a good local bike shop that offers a bike fit. They should put the bike you want to buy on a tubo and position the saddle/stem for you to a comfortable position. But off bike core exercise such as Yoga can help, positions such as The Plank etc.

2. Turbo trainers are great if you can't get out on the bike, but so is doing Yoga, squats, and any other leg and core exercises. A turbo trainer in the garage can be really boring, if you think you would do more with a gym membership then that would be more beneficial.

3. Strava is their to analyse your speed/heart rate data after your ride, it has nothing to do with masking tape on your stem or the ride you are doing at that time. If you like analysing your rides afterwards or trying to beet your last time then Strava is great. But there is nothing wrong with a normal computer that shows your time and distance.

4. See point 1. Find several bike shops that offer a bike fit, see what they have in your price range. Tell them the sort of riding you want to do and how young/fit/flexible you are. Try several, preferably on the roads, if not definatley in the shop on a turbo. Ask the shop owner's expertise. Look up each bike recommended on the Intenert and then buy the one you like the look of. Also see this article http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-1000-29719/

5. As FunBus said, you can't sprint without rocking the bike, each person must do what they feel gives them the best performance, find your own "best" style that suits you.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks for the replies, in terms of bikes Im looking at the new Carrera or the Giant Defy 1 i think. both are £999.99