Do I look stupid?

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
I commute to and from work everyday.

To work is only 3.2 miles but to keep it fast and my change of clothes sweat free, I wear my bib shorts, cycle jersey, leg warmers and arm warmers when needed. And soon ill also have shoes for my clipless pedals I bought. Everyone else in work comes in wearing jeans or track bottoms.

Is it just my paranoid mind t... or are they looking at me and thinking.....Look at this halfwit?
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    That's nowt

I work in the fashon industry and I'm the only bloke in the office, and the only person over 40. I come waddling in cycling shorts, shoes and jersey after a 17 mile ride. The shower room is the other side of the office so I have no option but to walk past about a dozen twenty-something women who all look like models. It puts them right of their skinny lattes
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I cycle in a bright orange top, shorts over my padded ones and my shoes with cleats. After showering and changing I leave my clothes on radiators in the office.

I bet my colleagues love me.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    3.2 miles?

If I'm honest I don't think I'd bother with lycra for that sort of distance.

I feel like a proper berk walking through the office in skintight longs and pixie boots, but I do have a 20km each way commute... it's worth it.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • I know I do, but I don't care. Full on MTB baggies, covered in mud.
    Get lots of comments from people as I walk through the office.

Although I do take my helmet off before I get in - I am aware that the helmet exaggerates my melon-sized bonce. :oops:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    If it works for you, then why care what anyone else thinks?
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, we all do, that's half the fun!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    3.2m? The ride is probably shorter than the kitting up time.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    not that daft - consider the current weather, warm, clammy and rain. in the winter you get covered in filth from the road. if you have a locker and shower then why not
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I tend to save the lycra for the weekend, or long rides to work. I guess I don't like walking into the office in lycra unless I need it for another reason.

My standard 6 or 8.5 mile run (without extension) I tend to wear a pair of generic shorts and a cycling jersey from aldi. Occasionally I will wear my MTB shorts with normal underwear. If i make the ride longer (17 mile) I will swap the shorts for some aldi lycra shorts.

It may have something to do with keeping the expensive and nice DHB bibs and endura jersey for the weekend though, I have made commuting very much a min cost affair recently.

Walking in covered in mud is always funny, have got some very odd looks the mornings I have had a quick blast on the trail on the way in :lol:
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • skolsuper
    skolsuper Posts: 27
    You look handsome mate.
    Don't worry what people think
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I commute in 4.5 miles to my old dears who is 1/2 mile from work. From mine to mothers it is pretty much 85% up hill. I usually wear bib shorts and Jersey/coat. Get changed into work cloths at the old dears and then pootle the 1/2 mile into work (Flat) in my work cloths.

A lot of the time on the way home I will extend my ride. I have to wear shirts and trousers to work and anyone who cycles in work trousers will appreciate how quickly they wear out from friction around the crotch and at £40-50 quid a pop I would rather wear Bib shorts.

When I lived a 100% flat and downhill route to work (2.5 miles) I would wear work stuff hence finding out the wear issues. But 2.5 miles was not enough to work up anything other than slight warmth.

I would not have any issues rocking up to work in Lycra. The ladies would love it ;)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, but so what?

I wear casual MTBing gear myself, but then I am a MTBer & had all that stuff anyway. If you are going to get changed anyway it doen't mattyer does it? Would be different if you didn't get changed.....
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    WarrenG wrote:
    That's nowt

I work in the fashon industry and I'm the only bloke in the office, and the only person over 40. I come waddling in cycling shorts, shoes and jersey after a 17 mile ride. The shower room is the other side of the office so I have no option but to walk past about a dozen twenty-something women who all look like models. It puts them right of their skinny lattes

Oh no, they'd be puking their lattes back up anyway without your help - fingers down the throat works a treat...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    WarrenG wrote:
    That's nowt

and now you're the most hated person on the forum.... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • passout
    Whilst we are on the subject I don't find most models very sexy (pretty in skinny sort of way but not sexy). I've met a couple & it was true then too. Now underwear models are the opposite - they look great. I don'treally know where I'm going with this, I'm just saying that all models should be underwear models!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You are not going to get very fit from a 3.2 mile commute and you wont save any time by kitting up and cycling quickly.
    My policy for short commutes is to shower before I leave and ride sweat-free in normal clothing. I might wear some polycotton hiking trousers to save my office clothes from wear and tear and dirt.
    Save your sporting kit for the weekend, get a clean, convenient everyday utility bike and learn to enjoy pootling along.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    3.2 miles, you should be riding the long way to work and back - make the time pay. Get it to 10 miles !!
  • seanorawe
    MichaelW wrote:
    You are not going to get very fit from a 3.2 mile commute and you wont save any time by kitting up and cycling quickly.
    My policy for short commutes is to shower before I leave and ride sweat-free in normal clothing. I might wear some polycotton hiking trousers to save my office clothes from wear and tear and dirt.
    Save your sporting kit for the weekend, get a clean, convenient everyday utility bike and learn to enjoy pootling along.

I beg to differ. I lost 2 stone doing this commute and have increased my stamina ten fold. Now that I am fitter, I do long rides at the weekends. I was asking a question specific to my work commute.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    fossyant wrote:
    3.2 miles, you should be riding the long way to work and back - make the time pay. Get it to 10 miles !!

I am trying to make it longer. The longest I can get to is a very hilly 4.5 miles. I do this 2-3 times a week and the smaller one the rest of the week. Depends on how late i am for work :wink:
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • passout
    My commute is only 5 miles but rather than making it longer I just have two sprint points (one up a hill) where I really go for it. Of course you need to warm up before doing this otherwise it will backfire. Ocassionally I take a longer route (with some off road) in but I'm usually pushed for time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    WarrenG wrote:
    I'm the only bloke in the office.........I have no option but to walk past about a dozen twenty-something women who all look like models.

Linky to your companies vacancies webpage please.........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.