Step Downs and megavalanche

garethrob
garethrob Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in MTB general
What is the best way to learn step downs?

What would you recommend for the Megavalanche - flats or spds

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Start small

Flats
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Start big, more incentive to get it right :-) Nothing to it really, weight back, small manual off the lip to stop the front dropping too much and plenty of speed.
    Only you can decide on pedals. I would go with spd's, plentry of others go with flats. You could always be different and go with toe clips.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If you haven't decided on pedals yet, are you really ready for the Mega?
  • garethrob
    garethrob Posts: 5
    I have been biking for a while and have done numerous trail centres - glentress, dalby etc and can complete the reds and some of the black trails. I always use SPD's but just wondered if flats were better for the mega. I can do step downs but am at the stage where i want to do the large north shore type ones with the larger drop but cant bring myself to throw myself off? problem is finding progressively bigger drops - its either small or too big
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ah, gotcha.
    Ride with whatever you're used to.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Well i'm riding the Mega in SPD's - it's all i've ever used and I figure that now isn't the right time to go changing anything!! :D

You doing it too then? If so, see you at the top 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    garethrob wrote:
    I have been biking for a while and have done numerous trail centres - glentress, dalby etc and can complete the reds and some of the black trails. I always use SPD's but just wondered if flats were better for the mega. I can do step downs but am at the stage where i want to do the large north shore type ones with the larger drop but cant bring myself to throw myself off? problem is finding progressively bigger drops - its either small or too big

Step downs are pretty much all the same if your landing into a transition, your just going faster when you land, I know that sounds like bull but it pretty much sums them up,

just keep your bike level with the landing transition and your sorted, land slightly front wheel first if you can or level but avoid rear wheel landing.

Don't think I can't think you can, same with jumps they all become easy once you get that mental block out of the way.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Step downs - roll toward it, panic at last minute, brake, still go off the end, be out of balance, crash, crap yourself, wait for ambulance. This technique has served me well. You may find some of the other advice more useful.

If you plan to try flats make sure you get loads of practice in before hand otherwise you will be going for a pedal stroke before some jump and pull your foot off the pedal thinking its clipped in and crash. I switched to flats when I moved to Canada and have to say on technical terrain I dont think I'd go back. If I was back riding my usual stuff int he UK I might.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    If you're worried about step downs, then watch the women's DH race from Windham last Sunday. There's a huge stepdown at the end which I'm sure will put your mind at ease :lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you're worried about step downs, then watch the women's DH race from Windham last Sunday. There's a huge stepdown at the end which I'm sure will put your mind at ease :lol:

Quite - Tracey Seat Spanner and Emmeline Ragdoll....err Ragot, coped well with it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    right, in the nicest way possible, I wouldn't be doing the mega if your asking these types of questions.

Firstly, what pedals do you use now? Use them for the mega, you wouldn't get used to spd's in the time anyway. Probably wouldn't go for toeclips, although you may be able to start your own category there, and your guarenteed 1st place.

Step downs - Just find some bigger ones and do them, it's the same process as a 1 foot to a 10 foot, it's just bigger.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    Go big and hope to pull it off!

To quote Stewie Griffin, 'whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're right!'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Step downs - roll toward it, panic at last minute, brake, still go off the end, be out of balance, crash, crap yourself, wait for ambulance. This technique has served me well.
    That's how I do drops. Ideally knock yourself out so you have no memory of it, then you don't fear doing it all wrong again. Works for me.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Isn't the event next week? I wouldn't change pedals now unless you already do a lot of riding on flats. The main bummer with spd's is being in the snow and the cleats clogging up. I'm sure you'll be fine on spd's, it'll be tres fun no matter what.
    Step downs - as others above. Same technique just for longer and is a 'tad' faster to ride out. It really becomes a psychological thing and the more you practice the easier it becomes.
    Many happy trails!
  • miss notax
    timpop wrote:
    Isn't the event next week?

Yes :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    miss notax wrote:
    timpop wrote:
    Isn't the event next week?

Yes :shock:

Good luck. Been looking forward to your post-event post for ages!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • miss notax
    Thanks! I seem to be flitting between feeling ready to give it a damn good go, and feeling utterly terrified :? :lol:

I certainly intend to give it my very best shot 8)

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Pah! You guys are gonna have a blast!!...Enjoy!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • timpop
    miss notax wrote:
    Thanks! I seem to be flitting between feeling ready to give it a damn good go, and feeling utterly terrified :? :lol:

I certainly intend to give it my very best shot 8)
    Yeah miss notax, go for it. Woot! You'll have plenty of practice runs and the atmosphere will no doubt be amazing. Eat well and stay focused. I'm excited for you guys. Have an awesome time.
    Are you guys on twitter, will you be posting updates?
    Many happy trails!
  • miss notax
    Aww, thanks!! :D

We will have the trusty iPad with us so I will try and post some updates if anyone is interested?! (or even if they're not :lol: )

• timpop
    miss notax wrote:
    Aww, thanks!! :D

We will have the trusty iPad with us so I will try and post some updates if anyone is interested?! (or even if they're not :lol: )
    Right on. Well if you have time it would be cool to hear how it's going.
    Enjoy.
    Many happy trails!