Cycling Back Pack for an *ahem* larger gentleman

mak3m
mak3m Posts: 1,394
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
looking for some recomendation from my more beefy bretheren

looking for a back pack, with or without bladder, with the chest and waist straps to stop it moving around when riding.

Tried an evoc, osprey and some generic mountain wharehouse bags without success, can get it around the chest, but the ole beer belly is proving to be a problem.

looking for a bag to chuck in some additional spares and water for long journeys, potentially to shove a change of clothes in for a commute. any help appreciated.

Comments

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    If you've already tried a few different brands and they all have the same problem you might struggle.....

I would have thought that if you have the shoulder straps adjusted correctly and have the chest strap done up, you'll be fine without the lower strap done up. It'll be secure enough to general riding.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I usually use one of these...berghaus freeflow 20, not bike specific, but does the job.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd check out some winter (ski/snowboard) packs as they'll obviously be designed to go over more bulky clothes and/or a few layers

I'm not big but for snowboarding I use a Dakine Heli-pack Pro and I don't use it on the bike cos the straps are too long and I'm scared they'll get caught in the back wheel :shock:

A good pack with google pocket, camera pocket, bladder sleeve etc...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ...and it's got an ice-axe/snow-shovel pocket which is always useful when out on the trails :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ...and it's got an ice-axe/snow-shovel pocket which is always useful when out on the trails :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • I use a Camelbak with no problems at all. Admittedly not a huge amount of room in it but for me enough for some snacks and the other pockets have spare parts. Will find out the model tonight when I get home.
    Weight on June 18th 129kg
    Target By June 15th 2013 - 100kg
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Weight July 1st - 127.3kg
  • mak3m
    cheers chaps

felix can you dig ditches with a snow shovel??
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I have two camelbaks here, the outlaw and er... some other one. quite a big one. Which is green.
    Anyway.
    The waist strap on them can go absolutely enormous. Have you actually checked out any camelbaks?
  • Given the waist strap is just a plastic clip, why not just buy another 2 clips (male/female) and a length of webbing ? Easy to make up an extension piece of the correct length. Search ebay for webbing buckles and you'll find thousands of different sizes.
  • mak3m
    I have two camelbaks here, the outlaw and er... some other one. quite a big one. Which is green.
    Anyway.
    The waist strap on them can go absolutely enormous. Have you actually checked out any camelbaks?

Im absolutely enormous but will give them a try cheers

failing that moutaingoatimnot has the soloution ;)