TV Adverts to Hate

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:
    mm1 wrote:
    Any Halifax ad.

I'm surprised nobody had mentioned those by now, good call!

Didn't you mention them earlier?

I agree though, very annoying.

;)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    My most hated ever was the CONFUUUUUUSSSSEEEDDDD DOT COM!!! advert. So your an out of work actor selling your sould for a pathetic paycheck are you? Is that what child-you wanted to be when you joined whatever useless drama school you attended?

Fail!

(Sorry)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    The gocompare cunit
    agreed - they are the last insurance outfit I would use just because of these adverts - they have stooped even lower than the "calm down dear its just a commercial" twaddle
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    I hate:

Perfume ads - where pretty-pretty girls flounce round trying to be ingenue and captivating and girly and delightful and oh la la - grrr! FFS! Feck off! Get a life. Ditto aftershave ads. Except ones with Matthew McConaghey (?Spelling)in, because I have a teeny soft spot for him. If I was a bloke, it wouldn't be soft, if you get my drift.

Make-up ads - where girls almost gurn in the effort to hold a facial pose somewhere between a pout and "qelle suprise!" while displaying flawless skin; or wide awake "I have Babmbi's eyes, flutter flutter" etc - supposedly brought about by the product. But what's this? "Enhanced in post production" it says in the small print at the bottom.

Actually, scrap that, because the Asterix* small print they put on the bottom is quite entertaining. Ad voiceover says 8 of of 10 women noticed an improvement. Asterix says *22.5 women were asked.

Loreal ads. Need I say more.

Ditto the above points, Loreal ads for shampoos and dyes etc, when model is flouncing around with massive hair saying how full & shiny it is, Asterix comes up: "Cheryl is wearing additional hair" !!!!

Ludicrous. But ladies flock to buy it still, even knowing the the product didn't even make the model look like she did in the ad. The wonders of the human psyche.

And most car ads also do my head in, especially the moody ones, with the sweeping landscape and the muddy trail and the BS, then cut to shot of little cutie in the back.

Rant over!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I hate:

Perfume ads - where pretty-pretty girls flounce round trying to be ingenue and captivating and girly and delightful and oh la la - grrr! FFS! Feck off! Get a life. Ditto aftershave ads. Except ones with Matthew McConaghey (?Spelling)in, because I have a teeny soft spot for him. If I was a bloke, it wouldn't be soft, if you get my drift.

Make-up ads - where girls almost gurn in the effort to hold a facial pose somewhere between a pout and "qelle suprise!" while displaying flawless skin; or wide awake "I have Babmbi's eyes, flutter flutter" etc - supposedly brought about by the product. But what's this? "Enhanced in post production" it says in the small print at the bottom.

Actually, scrap that, because the Asterix* small print they put on the bottom is quite entertaining. Ad voiceover says 8 of of 10 women noticed an improvement. Asterix says *22.5 women were asked.

Loreal ads. Need I say more.

Ditto the above points, Loreal ads for shampoos and dyes etc, when model is flouncing around with massive hair saying how full & shiny it is, Asterix comes up: "Cheryl is wearing additional hair" !!!!

Ludicrous. But ladies flock to buy it still, even knowing the the product didn't even make the model look like she did in the ad. The wonders of the human psyche.

And most car ads also do my head in, especially the moody ones, with the sweeping landscape and the muddy trail and the BS, then cut to shot of little cutie in the back.

Rant over!

Asterix moments are good.

For instance, toothpaste advert with a *Representation of nurse", ie a pretty girl in a pretty nurse outfit.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    New fruit juice line; can't remember the name - anyway, the ad features a punter drinking the product whereupon a bunch of people appear right in said punter's face & proceed to dance & sing about the product. Really uncomfortable viewing & feels like it was lifted straight out of the third world, which is sort of appropriate as I beleive the product line's trad UK customer base is a certain niche of African immigrants.

slowjane's hates remind me of ads I really liked; the perfume ad with Charlize Theron's bum (awsome but otherwise a useless ad - I can't remember which perfume) & just about any mid-90s Garnier adverts which were so damn sexy (one had some bottom boob in :P) they may well have permanently damaged my 13 y.o. mind.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,212
    Wonga.com, what a rip off!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Secteur wrote:
    Currently for me it's the Subway advert with two athletes on, and the girl one says "what, you can't even handle the jalapeno's?" ...FFS we're British, not American, we just don't do jalapeno's over here.

Maybe not in Bolton, Bury or Blackburn (none of that foreign muck, eh?), but a lot of us like the odd jalapeno on our sausage barm cakes!

:D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Barely a week into the Tour & I already want to kill that chap from the Halfords advert 'Tour De Francis'. Who cares? Oh, & why didn't anyone ask him to stop saying 'lovely'. Or 'lavvly', as he puts it. Clearly the only describing word he knows.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    The over contrived OTT Werthers Original ads - funny how the people in the ads have great teeth !
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    edited July 2012
    All people on tv have great teeth, just seen Kelly Holmes on that cooking thingy her teeth are soooo white and regular it looks like shes got her own personal portable photoshop (easy for you to say)

check out some 1970s youtube singers like david bowie - lovely use of the old wonky teeth. Aah real life i remember it well

Edit: Kelly is one of those women with mahoosive balls, who i cant help but love just a little 8)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Tour De Francis.

Do one,annoying cvnt
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    The Sidi advert on Eurosport, hate it, and it's been going for years now!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Cidre not cider - tw@t not twit.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    On the subject of real wonky teeth, mine not included - the lead singer of the Pogues...wossisname, thingyamebob ?
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    The over contrived OTT Werthers Original ads - funny how the people in the ads have great teeth !

These ads were the last creative concept by an old grandee of the ad world and my Dad's mate, Don Tennant, the man who came up with Tony the Tiger for Kelloggs back in the 1950's. Back in the 1990's (I think) he sent us the concept to check over as a sounding board and we tried to tell him no-one here says "candy" and that is was a bit contrived and twee. Did he listen? Nahhh. course not. Are the ads crap? Oh yeah, artistically. Are they successful and therefore fulfil the brief? Enormously.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    shane thingy - he used to be in a band called the nipple erectors - talking of which sue barkers on the tele. :D
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    edited July 2012

These ads were the last creative concept by an old grandee of the ad world and my Dad's mate, Don Tennant, the man who came up with Tony the Tiger for Kelloggs back in the 1950's. Back in the 1990's (I think) he sent us the concept to check over as a sounding board and we tried to tell him no-one here says "candy" and that is was a bit contrived and twee. Did he listen? Nahhh. course not. Are the ads crap? Oh yeah, artistically. Are they successful and therefore fulfil the brief? Enormously.

I also hate that ad, I'm sure it makes reference to 'your first visit to a caramel shop'. I've never been to one, I don't know what one is and I wouldn't know where to find one even if I had the slightest inclination to visit, which I don't. Also, how do you know the add is enormously successful? Have sales spiked since the campaign began? I'm not doubting you, just interested.
  • pinno

You're a bit of a dark horse slowlanejane :wink:
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I hate any add which contains a certain extremely tragic actor, who's name I don't know. A good few years ago, he used to be on a mindblowingly unfunny 'comedy' sketch show on some crap channel that no-one cares about, perhaps BBC3 I don't know, I don't remember the name of the show either. He also used to be in some drink driving advert where his head suddenly got smashed against a pub table or something (quite a good bit actually). Next I saw him in an advert for WKD I think, sat in a freezing car waiting to play a game of sunday league football or something. He's now on a current advert where he appears as his own alter ego or something in various situations, I don't know what that's for either.

Anyway, the guy is some utterly irritating and tragic 'jobbing' advert actor. I'm embarrassed for him. I imagine/hope he sobs himself to sleep each night at futility and emptiness of his 'career'.

Can anyone fill in the blanks, who is this nobody?
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    so let me see ... its an annoying actor, from an annoying show and now does annoying adverts.

er... No :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Cidre not cider - tw@t not twit.

It's probably not even made in Belgium (seeing as Stella Artois lager comes from some dire processed fizz factory on the M4). Plus nearly all decent Belgian booze comes from the Flemish-speaking bit. Someone ought to remind Whitbread/InBev/whatever they're called this week of that....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    jim453 wrote:
    I hate any add which contains a certain extremely tragic actor, who's name I don't know. A good few years ago, he used to be on a mindblowingly unfunny 'comedy' sketch show on some crap channel that no-one cares about, perhaps BBC3 I don't know, I don't remember the name of the show either. He also used to be in some drink driving advert where his head suddenly got smashed against a pub table or something (quite a good bit actually). Next I saw him in an advert for WKD I think, sat in a freezing car waiting to play a game of sunday league football or something. He's now on a current advert where he appears as his own alter ego or something in various situations, I don't know what that's for either.

Anyway, the guy is some utterly irritating and tragic 'jobbing' advert actor. I'm embarrassed for him. I imagine/hope he sobs himself to sleep each night at futility and emptiness of his 'career'.

I'm intrigued now, and wish I knew.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    campagone wrote:

Is that the one where they cook some shoe parts in wok? And then serve it on a platter? Am I imagining this?? I actually feel for the guys in this advert, they look so uncomfortable.

Generally pretty much all adverts on Eurosport are rubbish, especially ones by various countries marketing departments, eg come to Albania, and Poland welcomes you. Utter rubbish!
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    'Turkish airways - we are globally yours'
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Wickes - It's got our name on it! : Yes and my brain has your fucking name cauterised into it with your fucking woeful bullshit laden,painful ads

Screwfix - If I want my screws delivered the next working day,I'd go to one of the many B+Qs that inhabit Northern Ireland and get them THAT DAY. Perhaps if your mdf was as cheap,I'd buy some,make a cross and nail myself to it in protest.

Shiela's wheels - SEXIST PIGS:D

gocompare: Go fuck yourself

Strongbow - The archer is a terrible shot.

WKD : Wicked, a word also containing a c and some vowels. Unless the creator is dyslexic in which case I apologise.

Fosters : ooh roo?? OOH gives a fuck?
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    campagone wrote:

Is that the one where they cook some shoe parts in wok? And then serve it on a platter? Am I imagining this?? I actually feel for the guys in this advert, they look so uncomfortable.

Generally pretty much all adverts on Eurosport are rubbish, especially ones by various countries marketing departments, eg come to Albania, and Poland welcomes you. Utter rubbish!

Yes that's the one, I mean come on, cooking up a shoe :roll:

On the other hand I quite liked the Selle Italia advert that was on during the Giro and the Skoda advert is ok though the older one was better, where the guys were carrying the spare bikes on their shoulders ove the top of the climb, that was quite good.
  • pinno
    Anyone remember/seen that HTC finance advert? Cute(ish) woman in tight jeans (only likeable thing about it) and a growling/barking bunny rabbit popping out of laundry baskets; what a miserable ad - speeded up my recovery no end though as it got me out of the house to avoid daytime TV. They scraped very bottom of the barrel of creative shit for that one.

Bank of Scotland with the mock Radio channel and nodding blonde woman indicating (with the most elaborately false eye movement and a good impersonation of a dog on the parcel shelf) to turn the volume up - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa such utter contrived crap. Pity, kind of thought she was cute until the nodding head bit and spilt coffee moment. Very short lifespan of wigwam in trousers.

The fast show hit the nail on the head with 'Now even cheesier cheesy peas...'
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Train Line adverts, choo choo choo...grrr. I made a rule never to buy from any company who used annoying adverts.

Must admit I rarely watch TV now my internet is working again. I watch Le Tour on a stream, any documentaries on one of the many docu sites out there, any sport, again is streamed, and if I wanna see a film I read reviews and pop to the cinema... and grumble about the ads.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    jim453 wrote:

I'm intrigued now, and wish I knew.

David

Do you mean this ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv3c6OEDuOc

i like the song