New to SPD SL Shoes and cleats

Thevicar1984
Thevicar1984 Posts: 10
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Being rather new to all this I might ramble a bit.
Last week I bought a set of Shimano SPD SL pedals and the Red Cleats that go with them. Stating the obvious I have the shoes too!
Basically before ,I could cycle all day long with the toe cages and never felt a thing. However, after fitting pedals/cleats etc, when I have a session where I'm giving it a few beans the right side of my right knee is sore and the inside of my left calf feels a bit tight. I was wondering how I should set up the cleats on the bottom of my shoe. I have them set up under the ball of foot/toes. Should everything be pointing forward IE toes/Knees. As when I walk my feet tend point outwards a little bit. I set everything up originally like this but it felt uncomfortable, should I revert back to this and see if I get used to it?.
Any help advice very much appreciated

Comments

• Seriously. I've learned there's a scientific art form to fitting these little buggers. Get it wrong and you're in a world of pain, get it right and you don't know they're there.

What's your knee worth in 10,15 or 20 years time?

Go get them fitted by someone who has done it before and knows what they're doing
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    An alternative is get some yellow cleats.

They allow a little bit of side to side "float" and your feet will naturally sit on the pedals and save your knees.

Other than that it is a good suggestion to get a bike fit, but this can be quite expensive but done once and done well, the details will last you a life time.

( I use SPD SL yellow cleats without any issue)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Yep yellow cleats have more float - so would be the first suggestion.

I had mine fitted at a bike fit, but would be happy to do these myself next time....

Ideally you do need the bike on a bike stand so that you can freely pedal and check that in your natural position there is float on both sides.
    i.e. you pedal freely under very little load - and then stop keeping your foot in the same position - and check the float allows your shoe to move in one direction. Repeat for the other side. Repeat several times until you are happy there is roughly the same amount of float on either side.
    Simon