Shipping a bike

richardjiles
richardjiles Posts: 137
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Whats the cheapest way for me to get a bike from Cardiff to Iowa (USA)
I have it packed in a cardboard box

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Google
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Wow. Who'd have thought it. Tesco doing phones and Google now do shipping. Suppose that's what you call diversification.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'd suggest some kind of post/courier service.

Riding it there would take a while and you'd probably lose a fair bit in earnings, although it would depend which way you go as to how long exactly it would take you. You'd also need to be confident swimming with the bike.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Swimming would be best without the box. It'll go soggy and salt is a bugger on chains
  • richardjiles
    After looking all day on my google findings, there is seriously no way to do it cheaply, guess ill just have to leave it here
    :(
    I will miss my dear bike
  • angry_bird
    My suggestion would be to minimise the swimming by hitchiking onto a ferry over to France/Holland area then riding east through Europe and Russia, then it's not far to swim over to Alaska.

Alternatively could make a canoe Ray Mears style assuming you have sufficient bushcraft skills.
  • angry_bird
    If you're going to the states with it why can't you take it on the plane with you? Or is it too much baggage? I've a mate who has to work in the states for a few months each year. He flies a bike out there and back with him each time.

Or you could just sell it here and buy a new one out there, much better value for money.
  • richardjiles
    stupid united people want to charge 200 dollars, just for a bike! thats with it packed and everything, tbh not enough time to sell now