First 70 miler or 112km to you metric folk

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Since it seems customary to share.

Did my first 70 miler yesterday with just under 2800ft climbing (according to strava).

Felt great to finish with a total ride time of 4 hours 46 mins (closer to 6 hours including cake stop). I bonked at around 50 miles but had some great help from a group of guys that I met at around the 20 mile mark after losing my original group dropping my chain and then the tyre tried to come away from the rim. Really surprised how helpful people are and since they are locals have found myself a couple of riding buddies too :)

Rider - 97kg. Bike - Raleigh Chimera (no idea of weight but f****ing heavy). Longest previous ride 35 miles.

Would I do it again? not for a while my fitness definately needs more work :wink:

what did I learn?

first of all a 12-22 rear cassette and 39/53 chainring on a chromo frame are not the best idea for a new/unfit rider. Add to that a 130mm ish saddle and a very sore arse.

second eat before during and after. With the week I have had I hadn't really prepared very well and forced down weetabix on the morning, took a few fig rolls etc but not much else. Had someone elses carb gel after bonking and really seemed to make a difference (placebo effect maybe but worked for me).

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well played - and come on be honest if you had to do it again tomorrow I bet you would.

Least now you know how much food to take on for your next one. - chapeau.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    On longer rides I take a bag of unsalted peanuts and grab a few handfuls every 15 miles or so. Don't wait until you're hungry.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • snoopsmydogg
    Cleat, even if I wanted to I couldnt do it again tomorrow :wink: I have aches where I didn't know I could (especially around the back of the ankles for some reason). Although I will do it again, maybe with a lighter bike and slightly larger cassette though.

unixnerd, thing was I didn't feel hungry all day. Forced down breakfast and had to force down a sandwich about 3/4 of the way through. Spent much of the second half nibbling on the fig rolls.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I can go and do 60 miles without getting hungry, but it really does make a difference if you eat regularly on the way round - that's what stops you bonking. I like peanuts and the odd banana (they help stop cramp).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • snoopsmydogg
    60 miles without hunger thats good going, i regularly do up to 30 but thats usually the limit (generally ride on an evening after work). had no issues with cramp on the route although feel a little more achey today.

After a day to recover i think I can say cleat was right and i'll do it again but more fitness/hill work and possibly a lighter frame may be required.