Suntour XCM Forks - Help needed

indiekid007
indiekid007 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
I have purchased a second hand GT aggressor 2009 and it has Suntour XCM forks. As it did not have a manual and I am new to MTB I need some help on what each of the adjusters actually do.

There is s red one which has rebound adj written on it and a black one which has + and -.

Can you please explain what each one does and how i could adapt the settings if i want to:

1 Road cycling
2 Basic trail cycling

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The rebound adjustment controls how quickly the fork springs back after compressing.
    The black know will be spring preload which you can use to put a bit of load in to the spring and set the sag.
    Unfortunately the preload on the XCM will make virtually no difference at all. The rebound won't do a lot on this fork, you need to try and set it so that the fork rebounds fast enough so that it recovers between bumps but not so fast that it kicks back causing a loss of grip or balance.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    red rebound. have a play and see what works best for you.
    preload to set your sag to what you want. does very little in real life.

manual can be downloaded from suntours website.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I am considering replacing these forks with better one and ones with lockout but I am on a budget , would I get anything second hand decent for about £40 ? And if so how do I work out the diameter
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Stick with what you have unless you want to go rigid. For a better fork you'd be looking at around £110 - RS Recon Silver. The steerer will be standard 1 1/8".
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had Suntour XCM's on my old Hardrock. Ignore the adjusters, they do bugger all.
    Look for a set of used but not too old Rockshox Tora's or Recons, might have to go a bit above £40 though