The caravane

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Alright,

Watched Stage 1 of the Tour from the roadside yesterday - first time I'd seen a "proper" stage. When the caravane rolled through the crowd went mental - I've never seen people get so excited over PMU before.

Without really trying we came home with:
1x pen
4x Cofidis caps
1x Carrefour casquette
1x windscreen visor
4x key fobs
2x Haribo
3x inflatable pillows
1x plastic shopping bag
1x floppy hat
2x pop up fans

My wife also bought a Tour musette with cap, T shirt, sweatband, buff, playing cards etc, despite me trying to reason with her that it was crap. At one point she was jumping up and down yelling, "I love Bic!" but didn't get anything from them.

We then did the usual of waiting about 90 minutes for the riders - Cancellara looked good in 7th place being towed along by "Big Jens"TM. And then they were gone in about 15 seconds....

My advice to anyone watching later stages is go for the Haribo and the Cofidis caps - they are the quality items :)

Back to work today, touched by the magic of the Tour..... :D
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    pottssteve wrote:
    Alright,

Watched Stage 1 of the Tour from the roadside yesterday - first time I'd seen a "proper" stage. When the caravane rolled through the crowd went mental - I've never seen people get so excited over PMU before.

Without really trying we came home with:
    1x pen
    4x Cofidis caps
    1x Carrefour casquette
    1x windscreen visor
    4x key fobs
    2x Haribo
    3x inflatable pillows
    1x plastic shopping bag
    1x floppy hat
    2x pop up fans

My wife also bought a Tour musette with cap, T shirt, sweatband, buff, playing cards etc, despite me trying to reason with her that it was crap. At one point she was jumping up and down yelling, "I love Bic!" but didn't get anything from them.

We then did the usual of waiting about 90 minutes for the riders - Cancellara looked good in 7th place being towed along by "Big Jens"TM. And then they were gone in about 15 seconds....

My advice to anyone watching later stages is go for the Haribo and the Cofidis caps - they are the quality items :)

Back to work today, touched by the magic of the Tour..... :D

Sounds like you had a good day Steve and also sounds like we now know where Cofidis spends its money!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    You soon get bored with it. You think to yourself do I need more caps that don't fit, those inflatable tube things, pens and keyrings when I have boxes full of the stuff at home? The Vuelta is much better, managed to get a lever arch file from their publicity caravan!

Mind you, best items from previous years would be the colapsable Skoda hat, stylish AND functional. And of course the TdF inflatable musette!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    No green PMU hands?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    The caravanne was really tight on Stage 1 when we went last year. We positioned ourselves in a really busy area, but hardly anything was given away. The Bic float was the worst of all, 2 sets of pens thrown out for 500 people :roll:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    The EtapHotel snood and the Cofidis key fob with attached plastic token for your shopping trolley picked up from last year's caravane have both come in very useful...
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    The caravanne was really tight on Stage 1 when we went last year. We positioned ourselves in a really busy area, but hardly anything was given away.
    Now there's your problem. Unless our interested in being at the finish then position yourself somewhere along the stage where there's few people; after a corner or some way after rolling hills are good (the caravane often slows or stops after rolling roads to maintain a gap ahead of the riders).
  • pottssteve
    redvee wrote:
    No green PMU hands?

They were there but I didn't get one. Most of it is dross though. I don't know who models for the caps but they must have a triangular shaped head.

A few laughs were had - one fella next to me got hit in the face with a bag of madeleines...

http://www.bicyclingnewsasia.com/en/roa ... -stage-one

Steve
  • greasedscotsman
    The caravanne was really tight on Stage 1 when we went last year. We positioned ourselves in a really busy area, but hardly anything was given away.
    Now there's your problem. Unless our interested in being at the finish then position yourself somewhere along the stage where there's few people; after a corner or some way after rolling hills are good (the caravane often slows or stops after rolling roads to maintain a gap ahead of the riders).

Best place I've been was the first climb of a mountain stage. The caravan will slow down towards to the top of the climb, but there generally aren't the people there, so you stand a good chance of getting what you want. Also the final week is better, they tend to be trying to get rid of stuff.

Best I saw was a guy next to me on said first climb of the day had the boot of his car open and they were throwing things into it! :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When one of the Tours of Briatin came into Bristol the bloke next to me grabbed a Festina watch handed out to the crowd :(:(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • What about the mini salty sausages? - they have kept me alive on mountain stages in previous years!
    Bring back the original C4 Tour theme tune !

The wife's breastfeeding tops website
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    RichN95 wrote:
    :lol:
  • greasedscotsman
    Vittel from today's stage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBi__B2lz28

:D
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I've a large shoe-box of various tat from my visits over the years, god only knows why I'm hanging on to it. The most fascinating thing I always noticed about the caravane going past was how that frail old granny who's barely moved for the last couple of hours suddenly develops the reflexes and agility of a ninja and couples it with the aggression of a rabid dog as she fights for her free keyring. The French love their caravane!
  • greasedscotsman
    It must be a great summer job as well, You get to drive around France, act a complete fool and there are loads of girls there as well! You will probably have no hearing after 3 weeks though...
  • pottssteve

That lot came past us as well, but going a lot slower up the hill. Everyone with an expensive camera ran for cover. :)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It must be a great summer job as well, You get to drive around France, act a complete fool and there are loads of girls there as well! You will probably have no hearing after 3 weeks though...
    It's a three-week party for 1st year university students.
  • greasedscotsman
    pottssteve wrote:

That lot came past us as well, but going a lot slower up the hill. Everyone with an expensive camera ran for cover. :)

Think "Banette" man (as posted by RichN95) has been the most entertaining. Oh, apart from the Bic girls. Hmm, Bic girls...
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    You will probably have no hearing after 3 weeks though...

Or sperm ;)