What size inner tube do I need?

CaerlyrOsprey
CaerlyrOsprey Posts: 49
edited July 2012 in The workshop
I have suffered my first puncture today, and would like some advice on buying a replacement inner tube/repair.

My bike is a Saracen Clever Mike, which has Schwalbe Citizen 700x35c tyres.

Which inner tube do I need, and is Halfords OK to get it from?

I also have the added complication that the bike has Shimano Alfine gears, would I be better off taking it to my LBS to get it repaired?

Cheers,

Kev

Comments

• muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    The 2 major thing are the valve type & the tyre size. Valve type is usually either Schraeder or Presta, you will need to get the tube with same valve type as your current tube. As far as size goes tubes cover a range of sizes, so any tube which has a size range including yours (700 x 35/43 or 28/38 etc) & has the correct valve type will do the job.

Halfords tube will be fine I think
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Is this puncture repairable? Buying a new tube every time you have a flat is a dear way of keeping on the road.

Halfords tubes are ok. A tube is only a rubber tube with a valve - not much can go wrong. Take the original along as a pattern to make sure you get the right one.
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Make sure you look for whatever it is that caused the puncture and remove it so it won't cause another one. Feeling around the inside of the tyre for anything sharp is good if you can't actually see it.

For a hub gear, I'd recommend getting the best puncture protection you can, as you're right removing the back wheel can be a bit of a faff. Schwalbe Marathon Plus have a great reputation for puncture protection. I ran a pair for a couple of years and maybe 4000 miles or more with never a puncture. They're heavier, but I reckon it's worth it for peace of mind. I'm currently using Panaracer RiBMo tyres which also seem to be pretty bomb-proof so far. I've only been running those for about 1000 miles so far (no punctures), so can't give you a proper long term test report yet.