Using a turbo to train efficiently.

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

I'm just starting to get into turbo training after 2 years of road riding in order to help increase my overall ability/strength and stamina that obviously comes with training.

I do realise that I need to concentrate on the specifics of training in order to make to miles put in to any benefit.

I do around 70 miles on the road Monday to Friday commuting and I'd class these as my base miles. I also try to do a 30 mile minimum ride at the weekend too but that is difficult with my current work schedule!

How should I train in terms of the sessions I concentrate on? Should I add variety such as endurance, lactate threshold and power sessions? If so, what would you recommend as good starters?

I used this BikeRadar article: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ing-24170/ to create the below lactate threshold session.

(My Max HR is ~190BPM):

10min warm up
5min @ -20BPM of max HR
3min rest
5min @ -20BPM of max HR
3min rest
5min @ -20BPM of max HR
5min rest
FINISH

Also, during the few mins rest period between sessions - generally what cadence and HR should I be aiming for?

Any advice of sessions to try and what their benefits are would be great!
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• velvetytoast
    velvetytoast Posts: 161
    A lot depends on what's you're trying to achieve - I spent the winter on the turbo trying to increase my ability to ride at speed and spent most sessions doing 30 min flat out (think 10 mile tt) now if find I can turn a bigger cog and av 18mph on rides I was averaging 16 mph on last year - but I'm finding the 60m + rides more difficult because I can't hold the speed for more than about an hour and a half. But then everyone's different......
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I just want to generally be better at all aspects i.e. sprinting, endurance, stamina and pedal technique.

If it helps to get a bigger picture, I have my session here: http://app.strava.com/rides/12181361
    Do I need to be really resting during the rest periods i.e. dropping cadence down to 60-70 and aiming for 100-110 for the threshold? I think my problem there may have been that I was unknowingly pushing too much during my rest periods?

Ultimately, I'd like to get into next years local crit racing (work allowing) so I suppose some specific training to race hard for 60 mins and end with a sprint would be good?

Thanks,
    Craig
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

Ultimately, I'd like to get into next years local crit racing (work allowing) so I suppose some specific training to race hard for 60 mins and end with a sprint would be good?

There are so many exercises you can do. Make your own up for variety. But for crits you need to lots of sprints so try say 1min hard ride with a 10sec sprint x 10 then increase the sprint time by 5sec increments for up to 30secs. I have a big clock with a second hand to do the timing with and use watts instead of HR because it gives a better feedback. A high cadence workout is more beneficial.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    Take a look at sufferfest videos. They take the monotony out of turbo training and are very good.