Pedicabs in Manchester.

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Someone I know has proposed the idea of launching a pedicab business, now is it as simple as it seems? What could the potential obstacles of this be, and would it be easy to make a profit? Are there any licensing issues when it comes to operating a pedicab in a busy city centre, would the council have any objections towards it?

Cheers.

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Ring the council and ask.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    willhub wrote:
    Someone I know has proposed the idea of launching a pedicab business, now is it as simple as it seems? What could the potential obstacles of this be, and would it be easy to make a profit? Are there any licensing issues when it comes to operating a pedicab in a busy city centre, would the council have any objections towards it?

Cheers.
    Manchester is anything but progressive. The disappointing answer is here:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/20009 ... ormation/5

But what about mobile bicycle repair? It is already being done, and quite successfully by a few people.
  • ElliottDavo
    ElliottDavo Posts: 151
    Bloke gave me a £10 for fixing a flattie with his gear in Manchester, though I think he was being generous. If you advertised by Oxford road you could get some business
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    TBH I associate them with touristy areas but tthat could be an opportunity. I still think that they are something of a novelty for many, certainly outside the capital. I reckon it might work better outside around Salford quays maybe...especailly if you could offer a guided tour? Might also be a novel cross-campus form of transport for students (who are often quite cash rich, despite their moaning). Just a thought.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.