Suitable Bike Rack

mog666
mog666 Posts: 68
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, can anyone recommend me a suitable rear mounted bike rack (not towbar) to carry a 17" orange five on a peugeot 308 year 2011. i dont think there is anything out there specifically suited for this bike but im willing to sacrafice a less than perfect fit to get the job done. any info at all would be great , thank you.

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Saris bones will work, but you'll probably need their "bike beam" as well. The beam is a bar that clamps at the stem, and under the saddle, giving the bike a false crossbar to fit boot mounted racks.
  • mog666
    thanks very much for quick reply. i take it these racks are universal and fit most model cars?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    They fit practically anything, from hatchbacks, to estates, to vans to saloons. Very versatile design.
    Handy, because I've used the same bike on four different cars.
  • mog666
    sounds good, do you need a spare number plate because of the low fitting?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't on my golf - I can mount it higher than their recommendations, leaving the number plate visible.
    It depends how exactly it fits on your particular car.
  • mog666
    thank you very much for your input yeehah :wink: , great help. I was going go for something cheaper but i suppose you get what you pay for!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No worries. I used to have a few cheapo things before, but the Saris is the business. It's been fine for long trips to Glentress and such with three meaty bikes on the back - no featherweights.
    The only caveat is that the little straps to prevent the bikes swinging don;t really work with MTBs, so I use a cheapo bungee cord wrapped around the bikes and rack to stop them swaying.
    Where abouts are you based? if you're in or near the Snowdonia area any time soon, you're welcome to have a look at how mine fits, check it on your car for issues etc.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Does the beam come into problems with dropper posts or is it ok?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It's fine with a Joplin, and I'm sure I've read it's fine with a Reverb. I don't know about the others, but I have no reason to suspect there will be any issues.