Changing Epicons on a Fury to 140mm?

goldeneyedmonkey
goldeneyedmonkey Posts: 66
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I've got an '09 Carrera Fury and I am aware that you can change the forks to 140mm instead of the 120mm that they are set at from the factory. Has anyone done this? I know it's possible and there are how to videos about on t'interweb, but I would just like to hear it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak, about how easy it actually is?

Is the frame going to handle it easy enough or is it not advisable? I'm about 5'9" and 11st ish, riding a medium 18" frame if that has any bearing on the matter.

Cheers in advance. _Dan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not.

what forks?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Suntour Epicon, I don't know any more than that sorry.
  • Anyone else got any thoughts on the matter? Is 20mm difference really going to knacker the frame that much?

Cheers _Dan.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    What travel is the frame warrantied for?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or will it just make it ride sh1t. Warranties aren't the only reason for sticking long forks on bikes not designed for them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    Suntour Epicon, I don't know any more than that sorry.
    what does it say on the side? what year?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:

Very little mate, just "SR Suntour Epicon", then "Q-Loc" down the bottom, obviously just denoting that they're quick release. They're the stock forks that came on the 2009 Fury, that's all I know.

Looks like the general consensus is just to leave it then. No worries.

Cheers all _Dan.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not all can be extended anyway, I would definitely leave at 120mm.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    cooldad wrote:
    Or will it just make it ride sh1t. Warranties aren't the only reason for sticking long forks on bikes not designed for them.

I know, I'd just rather not pretend I know something about head angles when I don't! Staying within the warranty for the frame is usually a good bet though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

Very little mate, just "SR Suntour Epicon", then "Q-Loc" down the bottom, obviously just denoting that they're quick release. They're the stock forks that came on the 2009 Fury, that's all I know.

Cheers all _Dan.
    Ok then 2009 Suntour Epicon RL with Qloc is 100 or 120mm
    the 2009 Suntour Epicon RLD with Qloc is 100 or 120mm
    the 2009 Suntour Epicon LOD with Qloc is 100 or 120mm
    the 2009 Suntour Epicon XC TADwith Qloc is fully adjustable between 100mm and 140mm

so you cant change your fork travel anyway.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Cheers all _Dan.
    Ok then 2009 Suntour Epicon RL with Qloc is 100 or 120mm
    the 2009 Suntour Epicon RLD with Qloc is 100 or 120mm
    the 2009 Suntour Epicon LOD with Qloc is 100 or 120mm
    the 2009 Suntour Epicon XC TADwith Qloc is fully adjustable between 100mm and 140mm

so you cant change your fork travel anyway.

Definitive. Thanks Nick! :D