No more numb feet :)

Ka12
Ka12 Posts: 216
edited July 2012 in Road general
I started with a pair of shimano R087 road shoes and whilst they were comfy at first any rides over 10 miles and I started to get numb feet - tried loosening them, changing cleat position, different socks etc but still got numb feet.

Phoned a number of different shops yesterday for advice and ended up taking a trip to Evans as they had most makes in my size, tried on lots of shoes and ended up with a pair of Specialized s-works - well the price tag is worth every penny as just got back from a 15 mile ride and no numbness in my feet :

The guy in Evans was really helpful and put the shoes through as part of deal with 15% off when you buy three items of clothing - so managed to get some gore socks and a Helly Hansen base layer for less than the original price of the shoes.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I ride in a pair of R087 shoes and have never had an issue with them, even on long rides. It could just be down to the shape of your foot and the insole. Something to bear in mind when you next buy shoes.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Ka12
    I have really wide feet and no instep at all, the shimano ones didn't seem to hold my heel well unless I had them fastened really tight. I'm just grateful to find some shoes which actually seem to fit me well with no problems :)
  • MattC59
    Ka12 wrote:
    I have really wide feet and no instep at all, the shimano ones didn't seem to hold my heel well unless I had them fastened really tight. I'm just grateful to find some shoes which actually seem to fit me well with no problems :)

That explains a lot. My brother has wide feet so has the R087 in the wide fitting. The standard fitting made his toes numb.
  • Ka12
    Mine were the wide but it seems like the shimano sole cups the edges of the foot, the specialized soles don't come up round the edges so foot can spread out wider.
  • MattC59
    Ka12 wrote:
    Mine were the wide but it seems like the shimano sole cups the edges of the foot, the specialized soles don't come up round the edges so foot can spread out wider.

You must have feet like boats !!!
    :wink:
  • Ka12
    lol, very wide but only a size 7!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Shimano shoes pinch my feet on the outside edges, my Specialized shoes don't at all.