Oh I could get addicted to this....

TheEnglishman
TheEnglishman Posts: 587
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I'm back from my first group ride and it was great. I was very worried about the pace but I needn't have been. While a few did show off near the end it was fun trying to keep up! It was a fairly flat course and overall I did about 40 miles.

I have to say getting a bike fit was the only way I'd get into this - there's no way I could have completed so many miles without getting the bike fitted to all my quirks as opposed to trying to get comfy on something straight out of the shop. For those of you who get back pain, knee pain, cramp in hips/feet or whatever I have to say don't suffer - get it sorted. If they can make me comfy on a bike then anyone can be!! The only problem I have is index finger numbness in both hands. I don't know if it's vibration finger or wacky nerve routing in my wrists. But I'm seeing a consultant hand surgeon tomorrow with results of MRI scans so perhaps she'll be able to tell me.

Food/drink wise I was fine - I quite like skimmed milk and (green and Blacks) cocoa - I just don't have a sweet tooth. It didn't make me feel full or queasy, although I did need a pit stop or 2! I surprised myself by not feeling tired on the way home - I guess I got the right foods into me at the right times. I'm going to try and make my own 'energy bars' as the shop bought ones are either really really sweet or fatty or just plain expensive for what they are. I got a few of those gel tube things free from an internet order but I think they'll stay firmly in the 'absolute emergency' pocket. sick.gif

Group riding's not too bad either, although you do need to keep your wits around you, especially in towns/villages.

The bike behaved perfectly and I'm glad I fitted mudguards - yea I know, but I'm too old to do the stripe down the middle thing. They didn't buzz and annoy me, so they did exactly what it says on the tin (not buzz and stop the stripy look) I'm wondering if dropping the pressures from 110 to 100 psi may make poor road surfaces more comfy. I hit one stretch of road where it just vibrated the heck out of the bike and I slowed down loads - perhaps it was just that 'resonant' frequency of bike shaking - it felt like really small cobbles and wasn't comfortable, especially on my healing broken wrists. Still it only lasted a few hundred meters, so perhaps the other 39 odd miles would be better served with better tyre pressures. Time, I guess, will tell.

I was looking for a cadence meter thing but now I'm not so sure - it is kinda obvious to keep pedalling at a comfy rate - and I think experience will show me what that is. And I paid for 20 gears so it seems a shame not to use them! Everyone says a heart rate monitor may be a good thing, I just need to read up about what values I should keep to. Or talk to a sports trainer. It's just amazon have a thing going with the Wahoo HR monitor and the case for an iPhone. This cycling thing should carry a bank balance warning from the Chancellor!!!

The only thing I couldn't figure out is when's best to switch between front chain rings - changing from big front/big rear to little front/big rear isn't a cool look as you're suddenly pedalling like billy-o I guess I'll just get used to the gearing and instinctively know - kind of like 'mmm that gradient looks like a number 6 gear'

All in all a fun morning out, despite the heavy showers! I refrained from jumping in the water butt, Jessica Ennis style, when I got home. Maybe next time. Or maybe if Jessica Ennis was in it as well :oops:

Do you get the feeling I may get hooked? (on the cycling, not dear old Jessica)

Comments

• daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    Yeah, been hooked on it for years. Love group riding. I agree with your comments about town centers etc.

Experience of when to change chain rings and gearing in general will come in time. I vaguely remember thinking like you but you may find tat changing gear on the bike is a bit like driving the car after a while. In other words you will just know. Group riding is totally different to riding with a mate or solo. I would suggest that you try and keep to the middle or the front of the group at first. Any change in speed etc on the front has a ripple effect so at the back and can catch you out until you get used to it.
    I also take skimmed milk with me and I think its a good drink, there are a few articles on BR's site supporting its use. And like you I don't like commercial bars. I usually take mixed fruit, fresh fruit and nuts on a long run. I do have a soft spot for Aldi's hazelnut chocolate and use it as a high calorie winter food.

As for the tyre,s my opinion is to use 25c if you can fit them on the bike and assuming you are using 23s. I have lowered my tyre pressures slightly in the past and 'think' it made things a bit more comfortable, but watch out for pot holes and snake bite flats.