Carerra Fury headset loose

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
When I apply the front brake the headset wobbles and today when riding it was very noticeable when coming down a technical decent. Taken the top bolt out and headset bolts and tightened all up but if anything its worse :roll: I can't see any other bolts to tighten so not sure whether the headset has had it or what else to do. What else could it be? Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    slacken the stem bolts first then tighten the top cap bolt to remove play then tighten the stem bolts up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mickisup
    Thanks, tried that but what I have found is that the forks are what are loose. How do I tighten these up once the bars are off?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How are the forks loose?
  • nicklouse
    if you have not changed anything then the bearings are dead or missing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mickisup
    All I can say is that when I apply the front brake the forks appear to float around in the frame. Then when I take the bars off the forks just appear very loose at the bottom and top of when they insert.
  • nicklouse
    mickisup wrote:
    All I can say is that when I apply the front brake the forks appear to float around in the frame. Then when I take the bars off the forks just appear very loose at the bottom and top of when they insert.

bars or stem?

again repeating what i said above.
    if you have not changed anything then the bearings are dead or missing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mickisup wrote:
    They will as the there is now not only no preload but nothing to stop them spreading, a completely meaningless test and result!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mickisup
    Sorry its the STEM that appears to float around even when everything is done up.

Can I replace the bearings myself or is it a LBS job?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy job, but if you have taken all the bits off you should be able to look at the bearings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mickisup
    A common part of specific to the make/model?
  • cooldad
    Specific to the headset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mickisup
    Just to add taken all apart and I don't see bearings at the top or bottom. Confused now, have I lost them?
  • nicklouse
    mickisup wrote:
    Just to add taken all apart and I don't see bearings at the top or bottom. Confused now, have I lost them?
    Very possible but as we have no idea what you are looking at it is hard to say.
  • cooldad
    Unless they are in the cups where they belong.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Fury as standard uses 'semi-catridge' bearings, a one piece assembly you push in, you can't take it apart and won't see inside (very much) to the balls/rollers (whatever is fitted).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mickisup
    Popped into LBS and fixed it a few seconds... :oops:

Looks like Halfords had left a spacer off the headset assembly and over time it had worked loose and hence the movement. New spacer added, tightened up and its now spot on.
  • Chunkers1980
    I've assembled quite a few bikes from factories, never did I do anything but adjust a headset. Seems very odd something was missing. Plus it just happened by all counts this movement.
  • mickisup
    It appears that just one spacer was missing.
  • Chunkers1980
    From where exactly?
  • The Rookie
    Not that Messitup hasn't had it apart a couple of times........
  • cooldad
    Not that Messitup hasn't had it apart a couple of times........
    That wouldn't have anything to do with it, obviously with Halford's involvement a few years ago....
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    From where exactly?
    +Potato.
    That explanation makes no sense to me.
  • mickisup
    The 'stem' has four slim spacers in it, each separate pieces, two larger than the other two. Three spacers were in place, one was missing and that was all that was wrong. It had clearly been left off at some point and taken this long to work loose enough to be noticeable. By adding a slim spacer right at the top closed the gap sufficiently and made the top bold secure tightly. Nothing to do with meddling :?
  • Chunkers1980
    Still don't get how you would preload the headset without all the spacer being there.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Still don't get how you would preload the headset without all the spacer being there.
    ^^This, again.
    It's an impossibility. I fear they may have been bullshi**ing you.
  • mickisup
    I don't know, sorry guys it taken a while to be noticeable but its been getting worse and we are talking about a few mm gap that I didn't even notice until going downhill yesterday at speed.
  • The Rookie
    The spacers aren't in the stem, they are between it and the headset and round the steerer........ A few mm means massive play in the headset!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The only thing i could fathom is that they assembled the bike, then for some reason, took off the stem, removed a spacer, then re-fitted the stem - the only thing then holding the headset would be the expansion ring.
    However, that's highly unlikely of getting worse over time, it would just be one THUNK! and it's loose as hell.