VERY LUCKY!!

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited July 2012 in MTB general
just got back from an exellent weekend up at fort william,however travelling up on the fri 10 of us in three cars my mate rich had 2 bikes on the back and 2 on the roof they were in the inside lane on the motorway when the bike rack snapped and the bikes came off and skidded across all lanes! thankfully it was quiet we all jumped out and managed to retrieve both bikes and what was left of the rack somehow all the damage to both bikes was buckled rear wheel few scratches and a new seatpost required to say one of the bikes was carbon frame i think we were lucky and no one got hurt as it could have been a lot worse bikes got fixed sat morning and we had a good weekend :)

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It's a good thing there wasn't a motorcyclist behind you.
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    or anything else for that matter
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I saw something like this on one of those police camera shows. This lady had a brand new Alfa with £150 worth of roof rack which had been professionally fitted that morning and it gave way on the motorway, sending £3000 worth of road bike and £2000 worth of MTB across all lanes.

I don't trust my bike anywhere but dismantled and in the boot.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That's just because it was an Alfa.
  • Twelly
    That's just because it was an Alfa.

Yeah I forgot to mention the bike rack was fine, it was the roof of the car that fell off..
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    My mate hit a bicycle on the M4 that fell off a few weeks back. Scary stuff.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Lucky is also being able to read the main post. No use of any punctuation at all!

I have a fear of roof racks, so will only ever keep my bike in the boot.
  • That's one of the reason I never carry my bike on the roof as well. And you're very lucky indeed.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Lucky is also being able to read the main post. No use of any punctuation at all!

I have a fear of roof racks, so will only ever keep my bike in the boot.

That's a lie. He used a comma and a ! ;-)
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    must admit I never felt 100% relaxed with them on the roof. I have one of the towbar mounted ones that the wheels sit on now and have never had any issues. Plus if you don't have a sunroof how do you know they are still there lol?
  • Twelly
    appy wrote:
    must admit I never felt 100% relaxed with them on the roof. I have one of the towbar mounted ones that the wheels sit on now and have never had any issues. Plus if you don't have a sunroof how do you know they are still there lol?

If you look in your rear view mirror and see a 10 car pile up caused by a driver swerving because of the handlebars impaled in his skull, chances are they've fallen off...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I saw another one on Road Wars or similar. That was a woman in a brand new Scirocco, with a brand new 'professionally' fitted rack, with about £2k of road bike and £4k of MTB....all turned into teeny weeny bits of carbon and metal by HGVs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."