Best second hand car under £1000 for road racing

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi

What's the best used car to look for, under £1000? I heard that Corsas and Fiestas are the most reliable and cheapest to repair, is this true? Will I need a 5 door with the back seats folded down to fit my bike in the back, or are there any 3 door cars in particular that are big enough?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    You should look for a cheap Ford Fiesta or a Focus. Cheap to buy, run and maintain. Personally I'm not a fan of Vauxhall as they're not as nice to drive. You could get a 3 or 5 door but a five might make it slightly easier . Make sure whatever you buy is a hatchback
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 Vauxhalls are horrible to drive. Have a look at autotrader, there are loads of Focus's for under £1k. They'll run for ever.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • djfleming22
    djfleming22 Posts: 116
    I was in the trade for 15 years get something Japanese ...Toyota etc .....best built machines
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    I was in the trade for 15 years get something Japanese ...Toyota etc .....best built machines

for racing? jap cars are great when working but replacement parts are expensive so wouldn't really recommend one for thrashing round a track
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I bought a Civic VTi 5 door with 57k miles on it for a grand a year ago. It's been bulletproof (being a Honda and all) and is loads of fun to drive. Both my bikes are regularly in the back.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Get a van! Seriously, something like a Berlingo or an Astra van in decent nick can be had for about a grand - cheap to run, robust, super bike friendly... Otherwise, I second the old Civic idea (I had a vti for a good while), because these are economical, are good to drive, don't break down, and have heaps of space for a small hatchback.
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    Depends how old you are willing to go, I use a Mk III Volkswagen Golf P Reg 5 door. Had a few niggles but engine runs sweet with 145k on the clock. Fits a road bike across the back seats if you remove the front wheel, which is nice as you don't have to faff around with parcel shelves or rear seats folding...
  • djfleming22
    djfleming22 Posts: 116

for racing? jap cars are great when working but replacement parts are expensive so wouldn't really recommend one for thrashing round a track

I think he means for putting his bike in the back off ...not for track use ... parts are dearer but more reliable
  • I was in the trade for 15 years get something Japanese ...Toyota etc .....best built machines

I also have 5 experience years in trading Japanese cars, there are many great used cars for sale under 1000 (http://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-cars ... er-usd1000, this is the site I usually come to find a car). But I agree with you about the parts are expensive :(, it is quite hard to buy it in a short time :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You are hereby awarded Spazwangle of the Year award for the most pointlessly silly thread resurrection of 2018.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dannyjames1
    dannyjames1 Posts: 44
    I can get my bike in the back of my 3 door honda civic, seats folded, without having to take the wheel's off though it helps if I do take the front off.

Oops didn't see how old this thread is. How on earth do people find these things and revive them?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,116
    To promote their website?