Tony Martins Puncture

ginsterdrz
ginsterdrz Posts: 128
edited July 2012 in Pro race
All the publicity I can find suggests he was riding Specialized's 'new' Turbo clincher (with ultra thin butyl inner) as he did in the Worlds and recent German champs.
Ironically a tub would have been tougher and even if it had punctured, would probably seen him to the finish.
I'm sure a lot of the old guard will be laughing and saying 'I told you so'.
Wonder how much in financial and publicity terms that clincher cost the Team.

I've always ridden clinchers but I'm tub curious!

Comments

• Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Was it a puncture? I thought it was a mechanical?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The mechanics found a piece of glass in the tyre

Just bad luck I'd say
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    After his World Champs success I'm sure someone else must have ridden on the same tyre set up, or not?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Martin used Conti tyres at the 2011 Worlds - see http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/news_int_10.shtml

Glass can cut through tubular tyres too, a number of riders had punctures today.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    iainf72 wrote:
    The mechanics found a piece of glass in the tyre

Just bad luck I'd say

I'd say thats complete bs - a PR exercise so that Specialized can save some face with their great new tyre :lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    He would have needed to change if using tubs anyway, sure you can ride a bit on them but not at 50kph on a twisty course.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    nferrar wrote:
    He would have needed to change if using tubs anyway, sure you can ride a bit on them but not at 50kph on a twisty course.

This. Yes, he may have finished on a tub but he'd have lost more time.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Pross wrote:
    nferrar wrote:

This. Yes, he may have finished on a tub but he'd have lost more time.

Yeah but he'd have been able to carry on riding while they sorted his new bike out, I wondered why he stopped so quickly, he had to walk to meet the mechanic with the new bike. If he'd been on tubs he could have carried on rolling along until the bike was ready and swapped much more smoothly.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Ginsterdrz wrote:
    I've always ridden clinchers but I'm tub curious!
    A friend of mine did Ironman Austria on Sunday on his new deep section wheels with tubs. Apparently he suffered two punctures. Haven't heard the details yet, but suspect the hassle of sorting them out will be enough to put me off any tub-curiosity I might have had.

Totally different situation for the pros with team cars, obviously.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I can't believe the world TT champion is using a clincher disc wheel. Not unless carbon clinchers are much impoved on the designs I was looking at 3 or 4 years ago.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    I can't believe the world TT champion is using a clincher disc wheel. Not unless carbon clinchers are much impoved on the designs I was looking at 3 or 4 years ago.

It must be good technology to convince a German.
    @JaunePeril

• disgruntledgoat

That said, the ones I looked at were an alu braking surface, glued to a carbon fairing. They heated up so much you risked puncture on long descents, filled with water in the wet and were incredibly heavy. A triumph of form over function.

I think what I'm saying is we were starting from a low benchmark.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril

That said, the ones I looked at were an alu braking surface, glued to a carbon fairing. They heated up so much you risked puncture on long descents, filled with water in the wet and were incredibly heavy. A triumph of form over function.

I think what I'm saying is we were starting from a low benchmark.

I presume that the aluminium has now been dispensed with to avoid heat build up or the clincher itself, rather like a turbo tyre, has enough heat resistance for it not to be an issue. Then again on a fairly flat TT how much braking is he doing?
    @JaunePeril

• disgruntledgoat
    Fair point, I think the problm back then was finding carbon that was strong and economical enough to survive the force of a tyre bead at 110 psi. Those wheels I described were Zipps too, truly terrible for the asking price.

Just on the "how much braking" point... For 6.5km, why use a clincher at all? Surely a tub offers greater pressure, lower rolling resistance and weight of wheel. Just seems a gimmick.

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Fair point, I think the problm back then was finding carbon that was strong and economical enough to survive the force of a tyre bead at 110 psi. Those wheels I described were Zipps too, truly terrible for the asking price.

Just on the "how much braking" point... For 6.5km, why use a clincher at all? Surely a tub offers greater pressure, lower rolling resistance and weight of wheel. Just seems a gimmick.

I take your point but there must have been enough persuasion in terms of performance and reliability for him to put his reputation on the line in the World Champs and use them. If you're prepared to take the risk over cica 50km a prologue probably seemed a doddle.Ooops!

He may now be seriously regretting that decision and will soon be posting on this forum under the name of disgruntledkraut. :)
    @JaunePeril

• ginsterdrz
    ginsterdrz Posts: 128

disgruntledgoat

Yep-he is and has done since before winning World Champs!