Norco Storm 6.2 or....

academygaz
academygaz Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, same old story you've heard 100 times before but I'll put it again.

I'm 26, well unfit and need to do something about it fast, before its too late. Started manual work after a long period of being unemployed or in desk roles, so fitness plummeted and weight ballooned to 23st+ at 6ft1ins. Quickly dropped down to low 21st in approx 4-5months without changing diet or doing exercise, but my stupid body has gotten wise to the game and its not dropping off anymore. Hence, you guys come in. :lol:

I'm looking at getting a bike for getting fit. Nothing that is gonna win me the DH World Champs, just something to get me on the gentle-r trails around here in Notts and the like. Sherwood Pines etc. I've got a silly small budget though which is going to be the biggest hurdle, its just £250. I've been looking secondhand for anything which has been bought and abandoned as a passing fad (see, I've read these forums!) and there have been some which caught my eye but ended up being out of budget by the time I'd been to collect it (Scott Voltage, few years old but £240, and a GT Avalanche which had been repainted pink(!), but ended early on eBay). However, I've checked new shops and came across theNorco Storm 6.2 2012 for £235 at Evans. I'm guessing there is better out there for the money but I'm very much a beginner when it comes to checking specs of things. I know I don't want FS, just a hardtail. I know I won't need disc brakes as I'll be riding mainly in the dry (I hope). I race RC cars so have no problem stripping things down and rebuilding to be better/faster/stronger, and my eyes are always drawn to carbon fibre and anodising but I know I won't be getting anything exotic as that for this price point. More than happy to spend £250ish on something now and run it for 12-18months, fix what breaks and then get a better rig at a later time.

So basically....

- Tall fatty wants to get fit.
- Trail and gentle downhill riding I think
- budget circa £250
- Don't mind too much about new or secondhand
- Norco Storm 6.2 - opinions?

Comments