Alfine for full suss?

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just looking for some knowledge/advice really......

Is it feasible to put an 11sp Alfine on a full suss bike, e.g. my Commencal Meta 55?

I'm thinking about it from a low-maintanance POV and wonder what people think.....pros and cons etc

Thanks
BJB

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes, but you will have a lot of bogging to do. Different cable stops being the biggest issue. Then the cable routing may cause fun. And then a suitable tensioner.

Also The anti rotation washers might be fun. They are available for vertical drop outs. But......

Not a straight fit if that was what you were looking for.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigJimmyB
    Heck, yes hadn't even thought about cable stops - good call Nick.

Doesn't sound like it'll be an easy job. Could be expensive too - hub, chain, shifter, tensioner, front crank bits etc etc.....
  • nicklouse
    just had a look at the swing arm.

first thing i would do is go and look at a bike with one on. and look at the drive side chainstay. and then think about what needs fitting.......

and i think the anti turn washers could be an issue. but i would talk to commie and see if they have a solution. different drop outs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks Nick - sage words as always
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Seen a full sus with one on before, so it is doable. It looked quite good, and seems like a good solution to the low maintenance thing, as long as you can make it fit your frame.
  • nicklouse
    leaflite wrote:
    Seen a full sus with one on before, so it is doable. It looked quite good, and seems like a good solution to the low maintenance thing, as long as you can make it fit your frame.
    if designed for it it is easy but if not..... there is so much that has to and needs to be help etc...
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think Nicolai do some full suss models with hub gear options. Might be useful to take a look to see how they solved some of the problems?