Which SPD pedal for novice out of these two...?

Good Old Bakes
Good Old Bakes Posts: 89
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've never used SPD pedals before but I thought that it's about time I learned how to. I've bought some compatible shoes and I've narrowed the pedals down to these 2, which seem the most user/begginer friendly, owing to the large-ish platform, and they're a reasonable price.

Shimano M424
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-M424-SPD-MTB-Pedals-inc-Cleats-RRP-39-99-/270988749467?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f18302a9b

Shimano M530
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-M530-SPD-MTB-Pedals-inc-Cleats-BLACK-/290721232234?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item43b055f56a

The M424's look the most user friendly but the m530's look as if they'd last longer if they got a few whacks. Anyone had experience of either? Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

They're similar to the Wellgo ones that came with my Rockrider. I'm after at bit of a platform to support my foot if I don't manage to clip in straight away tbh, seeing as how I'm an SPD virgin an all that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Flat or SPD. Combinations are the worst of both worlds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Personally i like the cage, helps you clip in properly and provides more support for the foot. I wouldn't ever use it as a flat pedal mind.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Flat or SPD. Combinations are the worst of both worlds.

Why is that? Just curious.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Either M520's or M530's. Use the search function, been asked hundreds of times and people get tired typing out the same responses. (hence everyone's very short replies)
  • nicklouse
    I'm after at bit of a platform to support my foot if I don't manage to clip in straight away tbh, seeing as how I'm an SPD virgin an all that.

for support of the foot get stiffer soles.

if you are having clip in issues a platform makes it worse as it is harder to hook your sole onto anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Greer_ wrote:
    Either M520's or M530's. Use the search function, been asked hundreds of times and people get tired typing out the same responses. (hence everyone's very short replies)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
  • daverice
    daverice Posts: 9
    TBH, if you regard yourself as a novice, stick with flats and decent shoes and learn to ride the right way. SPDs are something I moved to but quickly learned that confidence in tech areas was diminished. Avoid SPDs unless you are a xc racer.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    load of rubbish. i was a pretty new rider when i went to clipless and just rode trails as normal, wasnt fearful of falling off. your foot just comes out.

if you're scared of terrain on clipless, then youd be equally scared on flats and its more a technique/confidence issue.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    daverice wrote:
    TBH, if you regard yourself as a novice, stick with flats and decent shoes and learn to ride the right way. SPDs are something I moved to but quickly learned that confidence in tech areas was diminished. Avoid SPDs unless you are a xc racer.

Bollocks.

Clipless pedals can be used by anyone, it's entirely personal preference, some people don't like the feeling of being clipped in others don't find it a problem.

When it comes to caged clipless pedals. I've tried them once, didn't like them. A load of the pro DH racers use clipless on big platforms, but them again, they can ride a bike :wink:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    daverice wrote:

Nonsense - I was riding clipped in from the offset. OK - you may pick up a couple of bad habits but on the other hand you learn where you foot should be in relation to the pedal and you learn to ride a trail without taking your feet off the pedals (even for a cheeky dab when tackling switch backs). SPD's have definitely improved my skill at getting over/round/through obstacles on the trail which has improved my DH riding as well (when I am on flats)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Im not a good rider at all but you certainly do not need to be a racer to use them. They are fantastic on open roads and flowing trails, but are a little tricky on the tech stuff and i do struggle on switchbacks, but its something i am trying to learn to get better with. I find them most handy on the climbs! Just be prepared to fall off lots of times when you forget to unclip when you stop! Especially embarrassing when in front of a load of people and you just topple sideways like a tree!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I've never used SPD pedals before but I thought that it's about time I learned how to.
    What are you hoping to, or thinking you'll gain by switching to SPDs?
    Flat pedals are fine, it's just a personal choice, so don't feel pressured into switching just for switching's sake.
    If you want to try them, of course, fine. Just don't be pressured into it, is all.
    Plenty of people have ridden their whole lives on flats. And some of us started on flats, had toestraps, SPDs, and ended up back on flats.
    There's no right or wrong.
  • nicklouse
    I've never used SPD pedals before but I thought that it's about time I learned how to.
    Flat pedals are fine, it's just a personal choice, so don't feel pressured into switching just for switching's sake.
    If you want to try them, of course, fine. Just don't be pressured into it, is all.
    Plenty of people have ridden their whole lives on flats. And some of us started on flats, had toestraps, SPDs, and ended up back on flats.
    and some just use both. not at the same time or on the same bike.

but there is one guy who has a flat on one side and an SPD on the other side of his bike.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    nicklouse wrote:
    but there is one guy who has a flat on one side and an SPD on the other side of his bike.
    True enough, some use both.
    Serious question, is the "one guy" who rides with one of each, that rider with a prosthetic leg?
    I remember reading something like that a while ago.
  • nicklouse
    yep.
  • I've never used SPD pedals before but I thought that it's about time I learned how to.

I’m just a bit fed up with my feet slipping off the flats. I’ve tried flat rubber soled trainers, Merrill deep lugged walking shoes and nothing seems to work. Maybe it’s the wrong pedals? Maybe it’s my technique that’s at fault? Maybe nothing will work and I’ll end up selling the bike and taking up the violin or remote control boating? I’ll never know until I give them a go.

When I was young and reckless, I had a No Fear t-shirt that said ‘Don’t Die Wondering’. Since then, I’ve always lived my life according to that mantra, from stunningly attractive ladyboys to sticking my tongue in the electric socket. Now that I’m old and decrepit, I’m nearer to feeding the worms than I’ve ever been at any time before and, when I’m laying on my death bed surrounded by my weeping loved ones, I don’t want my final words to be… “I wonder if those sodding SPD pedals would have been any good… UUURRRRRGGGH!”
  • nicklouse
    some good flats like Slim Jims or Wellgo MG1 and some 5:10s and your feet aint going nowhere.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    from stunningly attractive electric sockets to sticking my tongue in the ladyboys.
    Fixed it for you :lol:
    That's cool, do whatever you want, I just didn't want another rider to be "peer pressured" into it is all.
  • Just for the record, I went for the M530's in the end. I ran a web-bot and that predicted that those were the ones that I would buy, so.....