Llandegla blue or red?

Cr3do
Cr3do Posts: 89
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
Heading to Llandegla for the 2nd time in the morning, just wondering to hit the blue or red trail?

I did the blue last week for the first time, now my second visit im not sure to try the red?

Im overweight, unfit and quite slow, i did the blue in 1hr 13min, and found the climb to the top quite hard. But since then I have done Lee Quarry, and found it quite fun, although I walked some parts.......

What to do????
Rockrider 8.1 (2011)

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    The split is after the first long climb anyway, so why not see what you feel like when you get to the top.
    Never done the blue, so don't know how much of the return leg (from the split) is uphill/downhill, but there is quite a lot of uphill on the red.
    See how you feel and be prepared to take it easy and enjoy it if you do do it :) Worst that happens is you end up having a walk up some of the hills (which quite a few people do anyway)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    The red is now quite a bit longer with quite a lot more climbing towards the end.

You can still follow the old route: After the little descent where you have three options (2 red, 1 black), follow the path next to the stream. The new red turns off to the left and drops down, but you can keep following the path along the stream.
    I'd be wary going on your own if you've not been before in case you get lost, I can't remember if they've taken the old signs down or not.

On the other hand if you've got all day you could follow the whole of the new route and push up the hills (plenty of people do...)
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    As above you've done the big slog getting to the red/blue split, but there is still a lot of climbing on the second half of the red. I'm still not fit, but if I go on my own I tend to do red then blue, just to get a few extra km in on the blue. There are a few bits I push on the red.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I was wondering about Llandegla as well. I'm a complete novice when it comes to trails and not very fit. I've done Follow the Dog three times getting around it in about an hour and a quarter, but this involves getting off and pushing for some of the obstacles. What is the Llandegla red like compared to FTD? And how busy does it get, I tend to go to FTD on weekday mornings so I don't hold many people up!

Cr3do, you sound just like me! If you fancy meeting up on the trails for a bit of morale support give me a shout!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Llandegla red is a BIG step up from FTD. You'd need to do FTD and monkey together to start to compare, even then, there is a lot more climbing on degla.
    There's nothing really to get out of breath on at cannock, but some of the climbs at degla make me want to lie down :)
  • Cr3do
    I ended up doing the blue route again, the climb was pretty tough although I only stopped twice for a drink and energy gel, which was better the last week!!
    Also was a lot better on the decent this time, didn't stop once, confidence was high, even passed 6 people on the way, this extra weight on the belly has it's uses for down hill.
    Will defiantly try the red route next time, as found the blue quite easy once i got to the top of the climb.
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • Cr3do
    ElliesDad wrote:
    I was wondering about Llandegla as well. I'm a complete novice when it comes to trails and not very fit. I've done Follow the Dog three times getting around it in about an hour and a quarter, but this involves getting off and pushing for some of the obstacles. What is the Llandegla red like compared to FTD? And how busy does it get, I tend to go to FTD on weekday mornings so I don't hold many people up!

Cr3do, you sound just like me! If you fancy meeting up on the trails for a bit of morale support give me a shout!

ElliesDad, yeah sounds good mate, weekday mornings are good for me at the moment! When you next at Cannock Chase?
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Cr3do wrote:
    I ended up doing the blue route again, the climb was pretty tough although I only stopped twice for a drink and energy gel, which was better the last week!!
    Also was a lot better on the decent this time, didn't stop once, confidence was high, even passed 6 people on the way, this extra weight on the belly has it's uses for down hill.
    Will defiantly try the red route next time, as found the blue quite easy once i got to the top of the climb.
    Good for you, keep at it.
    I'd suggest staying off the energy gels though. It's highly unlikely you'll need all those extra calories just for riding Llandegla - even though it may not feel like it now :lol:
    You may end up piling on the pounds otherwise.
  • What are the condition's like ? Im off there tomorrow :D
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Cr3do
    What are the condition's like ? Im off there tomorrow :D

There were fine, a couple of little muddy spots here and there, but that was it, was very ridable!
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • bwstokie
    bwstokie Posts: 115
    Llandegla is absolutely spot on!

Been three times now and can't get enough of the place after intially not being sure. Usual haunt is Cannock which pales in comparison in my opinion.

Every climb, and there are some leg burners, is worth it for the downhills. I personally think you can roll everything there, even on the black if you're careful......love the black route and getting some AIR!
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    defo try the red next time, we are all beginners and we did it on first visit. as said, you can roll everything if you want to and get off and push up the hills. going on a weekday also means you will have plenty time/space as its pretty quiet