Upgrading... Gear Selectors

richhemmings
richhemmings Posts: 18
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

New to the forum, so Hello to everyone, and thanks for reading my thread!!

I have an old... Saracen X-ile, which I've looked after and recently some friends and I have decided to get into trail riding, which has been a blast! I'll be looking to buy a replacement bike in the future, or likely build one... but for the moment, I'm pretty happy with this one (just before anyone tells me its a poo bike, and I'm better off selling/binning it :P )

Sooo... story over, I'm looking at replacing the pants twist grips that the bike has... the derailer and twist grips have been replaced during the life of the bike, and all work together ok at the moment, but I'm concerned replacing the selectors may cause me issues?
I have an 18 (3x6) speed selector, with a 8-speed rear derailer and a 7-speed cassette. LOL.

So... what do I do?
Ideally, I'd like to do this as cheaply/cash effectively as possible. Looking on fleabay and some of the SHIMANO 21 SPEED EZI- FIRE units look handy... but should I be looking at replacing the rear cassette, upping to 8, to match the range of the derailer??

Sorry for the essay guys, total newbie to the more serious side of mbk'ing, and keen to learn/do it properly.

Cheers,

Rich

Comments