Short or med rear mech for 1 x 9?

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Currently running 1 x 9 with 35t up front and 11-34 cassette with an SLX long cage mech. Getting quite a lot of mech slap so want to go shorter.
Have read conflicting info on whether short is OK for the cassette range, so thought i'd ask here :)

Which do you think would be best, short or med?

Ta.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need one that can handle 23t difference.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Short should be ok as long as there's not too much chain grown. I used a medium cage XT (for 1x10) as they don't make a short cage version.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fitting a short cage will just bring the chain closer so will not help the slap.

some bikes just do so more than others. fit an old tube to the chain-stay and save your cash.'

mech cage sizes is well covered in the faqs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Short cage X7 on the Voltage 36T, 11-28 and LG1 chain guide. The shifting is proppa bolt action blam-blam-blam lots of tension in the mech the chain doesn't go anywhere it's not supposed to. Have been advised that the mech would not cope with an 11-34 cassette and the Voltage's 180mm rear travel

Short cage X7 on the Chucker as well with an 11-34 and basic Truvativ chain guide. Not as much tension as the Voltage set up but still nice and crisp. Hardtail.

I like short cage X7s