First 100k and it's my shoulder that hurts?

captain_kelly
captain_kelly Posts: 35
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Afternoon all.

I be just done my first 100k this morning, albeit it was in the flatlands of Norfolk, but it's a start (and the headwind was a bitch)

Now I'm back and have had a rest, the only part of me that genuinely aches is my right shoulder....it's only on my back where the pain is, but it's just odd that this aches so much, surely if one shoulder aches then the other one should too?

Next up for me is a few shorter rides with plenty of decent climbs.

Comments

• Nice one Capt. Kelly.
    I'm training for the Essex 100k in Sept. I did 40 mile this morning with a 15.4 mph average which I was well pleased with but my knees are killing me :cry:
    I hope that I can get it sorted with some seat adjustments :?:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    Suffer with this abit myself, I think it down to set up and body positioning. I found bending at the elbow more helped a lot. Also bear in mind if this is your first 100k then it will take a while for you to get "comfortable" at this distance. Well dine with the ride though, now to turn that into an imperial 100...
  • Cheers guys.

Looking at the ride now ie uploaded it, I managed to average 15.9mph for it, so that's not too bad for saying I've been at this cycling malarkey for 6 weeks.

I think I'll take the bike in and get it fitted properly to me, this might help me out a bit. Other than that I think I can only strengthen my back to try and help.

Good luck with your 100k later, 70km to90km was the toughest part for me, hope it's smooth for you!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    FCN 3/5/9
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Well done on your first 100km.

Are you left-handed?

Often in distance riding, the shoulder that aches is the shoulder opposite the hand you do a lot of things with whilst on the bike (drinking, eating).

Learn to do things with both hands and alternating is a good idea.

Also take hands off the bar (one at a time, or, if you are comfortable with it, both at the same time) and let the arm hang down by the side, shake it out a bit, clench and unclench your fist etc. - just to change the way your hand is being held.

If you are on drop-bars - use different bits, move your hands around - ride on the tops, the hoods etc.

I have struggled with shoulder pain (left) since I started distance riding and these strategies have helped to a good degree.