Can you buy Single Ultegra shifters anywhere?

JohnBoyUK
JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
What is says in the title...

Was trying to change the front derailleur cable, unscrewed a couple of screws and now the shifter has fallen apart.

Have googled but everywhere seems to sell them as a pair and I really can afford to stump up £200 right now.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sure you can't put it back together?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • StuBradley
    StuBradley Posts: 46
    Its worth looking on eBay as lots of people have one of theirs break and just replace the pair and sell the working one
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2009
    Giant Defy 2010
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    You can sometimes get 105 shifters from Merlin in singles for £30 or so. Mismatch shifters shouldn't be a problem other than cosmetic.
  • JohnBoyUK
    jibberjim wrote:

Lots of places eh? Google doesnt come up with anything.
    Got any suggestions for UK based shops, not keen buying from abroad, unless anyone can vouch for them. Would I have to pay import tax on that or anything?
    DesWeller wrote:
    Sure you can't put it back together?

Sadly I dont think so. Looks like the cover has sheared off by the little star bolt thing. Definitely need a new one and will bite the bullet and buy a new one but would love to avoid buying a pair as I just cant afford it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:

Lots of places eh? Google doesnt come up with anything.
    Got any suggestions for UK based shops, not keen buying from abroad, unless anyone can vouch for them. Would I have to pay import tax on that or anything?

We're part of something called the European Union, so no, you won't have to pay import tax on something from Germany.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Have you tried http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... ra+shifter that'swhere I had a single shifter.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    JohnBoyUK wrote:

Bike discount are cheaper than UK, delivery is normally 2 days, they're very good, as are all the German stores, of course you don't pay import tax.

Merling have the right only for example (in ultegra, but 5700 and others)
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... -sale.html
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • JohnBoyUK
    Cheers for the confirmation re: buying from Germany guys. Had no idea to be honest.

I'd looked at Evans, Wiggle and a few others site and came to the conclusion it was just pairs. Even googling single ultegra shifter, nothing came up apart from some right handed ones. Cheers for your help! :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    which side? I have a LH one (albeit 9 speed) but I don't think that makes a difference....
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    There's a dealer on Ebay who does the 6700 for £107.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Get yourself down to your LBS. They may be able to help you fix it, and if not may have some old spares knocking around.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    As mentioned above i bought a 105 left hand shifter (albeit a 5600) for £42 from Merlin Cycles. they did have a small range of singles but i'm not sure i saw Ultegra? sorry. Ebay is good too but think of the warranty you get from a shop if anything goes wrong.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • JohnBoyUK
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    As mentioned above i bought a 105 left hand shifter (albeit a 5600) for £42 from Merlin Cycles. they did have a small range of singles but i'm not sure i saw Ultegra? sorry. Ebay is good too but think of the warranty you get from a shop if anything goes wrong.

Yes indeed. Warranty. I sent the shifter back under the warranty, am waiting to hear now. Just means I need to use the winter bike for a couple of weeks until it gets sorted.
  • JohnBoyUK
    Well top marks to Shimano. Warranty honoured and a shiny brand new Ultegra shifter arrived by post yesterday. Problem solved. Note to self: make sure I know what I'm doing next time before performing surgery on my beloved bike.