Newbie with a probably BSO and a question

Fallsalot
Fallsalot Posts: 23
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while, unfortunatley not long enough as I had already picked up a bike before finding this site. Anyway, I do actually like the bike I have, a CBR Backlash (picked up 2nd hand very cheap as the original owner had "tried" to build it after delivery and hadn't done very well so gave up), but would like to improve it if possible. My only gripe with the bike is the rear suspension which might as well not exist if I'm honest.

It's got a "shock" with a 850 lb / inch coil spring which is either rock solid or if loosened to allow movement rattles like it's got parkinsons. What are the recommended budget (and I mean really budget range) shocks that would be worth looking at.

I'm mainly using this for light XC with a couple of mates and boring fire roads with the mrs, by light XC I am hitting Harleston Firs in Northampton (as it is the only place I have found that has at least some trails).

Apart from that, great site with loads of information.

Let the belittling of my BSO commence.

Rob

Comments

• If you got it very cheap the best you can hope for is to sell it for a small profit and put the money towards a bike. The effort of trying to drag that thing round trails could very well put you off cycling for life.
  • Fallsalot
    I wouldnt be able to get enough for a decent bike if i sold it, but as i say i am happy with the bike, front end is very light and doesnt feel heavy when climbing. I just want to improve the rear shock.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to measure the length (eye to eye) and the shock travel. Then look for a shock with the same dimensions. RS tend to be cheaper than Fox.
    Your next problem might be finding a fitting kit - reducers, bushings etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think either would more than likely treble the value of the bike.

I'd be inclined to ride it as it as and save for something better, spending £100+ on a rear shock for a bike like that is a false economy IMO.
  • Fallsalot
    Thought That would probably be the case, would swapping for a different rated spring work? I.e. a lower rated item.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not really, the shock is probably undamped, so it would turn from a rigid into a pogo stick.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fallsalot
    Ok, cheers for the advice guys. Guess I better start saving for a proper bike when this one dies.