Has anybody Calculated...

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
.... the maximum speed I can go before my brain doesn't have time to react to a massive incoming fly and shut my eye lid before it smacks really hard into my eyeball?

It's below 35mph...

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    goggles.jpg
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • prj45
    Two reasons why goggles need to be left out of this discussion:

1. there is a small chance that all the atomic particles in the fly/bee and in the surface of the goggles will be lined up in such a a way that the bee would pass straight through the glass anyway. I mean, this might only happen once in the lifetime of the universe, but it could still happen

2. I don't like wearing goggles (except beer goggles)
  • And it's going to make you slower. Every time a fly hits your goggles you're going to stop*. Perhaps get some goggles that deflect them away?

You know - the fly goes from going 20mph in one direction to 20 mph in the other. So it has to pass through 0mph. So it it's stuck to the goggles they're doing 0mph, so you're now doing 0mph. Slower - see!!
  • prj45
    Well, according to Zeno none neither me the fly/bee or the goggles are moving in the first place anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno's_par ... ow_paradox
  • prj45 wrote:
    Well, according to Zeno none neither me the fly/bee or the goggles are moving in the first place anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno's_par ... ow_paradox

And if you read and comprehend all that you definitely won't be going anywhere anytime soon!

:D
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    I have it on good authority that at 56 km/h flies can't hit you.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I don't know about flystrike, but photochromic sunglasses glass is made from billions of tiny transparent deckchairs. When the sun comes out electrons stream out from the metal in the frames, occupy the deckchairs and become tanned so darkening the tint.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • No, but I think we all know the last thing that goes through the fly's mind when he hits you at speed don't we?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem