Chain Length

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All.

So my bloody bicycle which in its brief life of 600 miles or so, now onto its 2nd set of wheels with the first lot becoming incurably egg shaped is now in need of a new chain, with the other one having snapped for no apparent reason the other day (precisely 8.3 miles after I'd forked out for a £50 'Silver Service').

Went into a bike shop in London and told the man 'my chain has broken, I need a new one.' He asked what gearing I had, I told him it was a 9 speed compact. He gave me 2 options, one being £22.99, the other being £35.99. I went cheap.

I asked if I needed to do anything to it, or if it would be find straight out the pack. I was advised I'd need a chain tool. No problem. Got one of those.

Just got home, put chain on bike, joined 2 ends together....and theres about a foot of sag in the bloody thing. Miles off being the right length. Why has this happened? How long is it meant to be?

I'm getting bored of bearded tossers in local bike shops being bloody hopeless at explaining the basics to people like me who know nothing. When I bought a new wheel recently, they guy was happy to sell me the wheel, tube and tyre for £100, but never mentioned rim tape which then necessiatated another trip in the car back to the same bearded bastard after two inner tubes exploded in my living room.

How do I know how long the chain needs to be? Why are all LBS workers arrogant know it alls with no time for either beginners or people on a budget? Why is cycling so bloody expensive?!
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• Matt88
    Matt88 Posts: 83
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing
    Here's a good guide on chain length, i find the biggest cog and chainring methods is the easiest.
    Also the sites got guides on almost everything, i recommend a bookmark!

As for the LBS, look around until you find a good one, while i don't live there im guessing there's dozens in london, i'm sure theres a few decent ones about. :)
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    Not being funny mate but all chains I have bought come with instructions on how to fit it. You will indeed need a chain tool to shorten the chain to the correct length before putting it on. Various methods but I find the length that goes round big chain ring at the front and big at the back, as matt says.

If you have time join a bike club, you will pick up so much from your club mates. Then you're not left to the mercy of the beared bastard (must be a mountain biker). Cycling is expensive if you don't learn how to maintain and repair your bike. Even learning how to clean a bike is important and something of a skill, especially if you are a mountain biker.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    charliew87 wrote:
    I'm getting bored of bearded tossers in local bike shops being bloody hopeless at explaining the basics to people like me who know nothing.

Why are all LBS workers arrogant know it alls with no time for either beginners or people on a budget?

This doesn't makle sense, you come across as a really nice person who just needs a bit of help :?: