Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Lamenting the passing of Biking Bernie

Yellow PerilYellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited June 2012 in Pro race
It was with a heavy heart that I discovered that Lance Armstrong's greatest nemesis, Biking Bernie, had passed from the forum.

His tragic demise comes just a couple of years on from that of his twin brother, Aurelio, who infamously died on the slopes of an Armstrong topic and whose last words thought to be uttered were "put me back on the thread".

Very few agreed with BB's style of posting, most clashed keyboards with him at some point but he was always there to give and take abuse and post reams of stuff, some of which may have been relevant and may have been interesting.

The forum's loss is Lance Armstrong's gain. He will certainly "be liking them apples tonight"

RIP BB :cry:
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
«1

Posts

  • dougzzdougzz Posts: 1,833
    I'm confident of his return. He's got no money, lousy lawyers, and if you continue to ban him he'll crush you.
  • nweststeynnweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    ...he was always there to give and take abuse and post reams of stuff, some of which may have been relevant and may have been interesting.

    I did what the internet would call a 'lol'.
  • TMRTMR Posts: 3,986
    Eh? What happened to him?
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 22,092
    Hmmm, to be honest, I'm liking being able to discuss actual racing again now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,523
    My god, he's gone. Maybe we should reflect on his life and times AND many alias's. Who can remember them all? :cry::cry:
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Aurelio
    Bernie
    Dennisn (his wierdest creation)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,898
    For those of you struggling with grief, help to you cope just read random passages by David Walsh, Karl Marx and his favourite racist pseudo intellectual Robert Redeker while repeatedly hitting yourself in the gonads with a mallet. You'll never know he's gone.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighterfrenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Is this a joke?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow PerilYellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Is this a joke?


    ...is contador a doper? :wink:
    @JaunePeril

    Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,898
    Is this a joke?

    It depends what you think this thread is about?

    He's not dead, if that's what you're thinking. He has, on the other hand, been banned by a mod (not Rick)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Stone GliderStone Glider Posts: 1,227
    It was a bit like meeting the Dalai Lama or the Queen,(a bit) someone who's view of the world was so remote from the mundane existence that we traverse, that there is a sense of being privileged or blessed. He was a bit of burden on occasion but I felt a certain warmth towards him.

    DennisN was/is special.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • tailwindhometailwindhome Posts: 16,278
    whose last words thought to be uttered were "put me back on the thread".

    Quality
    Believe that a farther shore
    Is reachable from here.
    Believe in miracles
    And cures and healing wells
  • knedlickyknedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I never noticed any reason for banning B-Bernie. Are the mods suddenly hyper-sensitive?

    If so, watch out Timoid (and others)!

    I think there will be a lack of informed opinion from herein on, at least wrt LA.
  • mercsportmercsport Posts: 664
    BB knew his stuff. Informed. He was lucid, erudite and reliably the best thing to read on any of these forums.

    It's incalculable what effect he must have had on the great debate beyond these forums upon Armstrong's veracity and moral-compass, but taking into account the knock-on effect I'd guess it was quite a lot.

    Despite some trite explanations - and a protestation - am at a loss as to why he so so unceremoniously ejected.

    "Am off to bed now. I may be some time" :|
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,674
    Copied from the thread I first posted it in as it seems more appropriate here:


    There's a hole in your logic
    You who know all the answers
    You claim science ain’t magic
    And expect me to buy it

    Goodbye Mr B
    You promised you would love us
    But you knew too much
    Goodbye Mr B
    You had all the answers
    But no human touch
    If life is subtraction
    Your number is up
    Your love is a fraction
    It's not adding up

    Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh…

    So busy showing me where I’m wrong
    You forgot to switch your feelings on
    Oh-Oh-Oh
    So so superior, are you not
    You love a little bit but you forgot
    Goodbye Mr B
    You promised you would love us
    But you knew too much
    Goodbye Mr B
    You had all the answers
    But no human touch
    If life is subtraction
    Your number is up
    Your love is a fraction
    It's not adding up

    Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh…

    Goodbye Mr B
    The world was full of wonder till you opened my eyes
    Goodbye Mr B
    Wish you hadn't blown my mind and killed the surprise
    Goodbye Mr B
    You promised you would love us but you knew too much
    Goodbye Mr B
    You had all the answers
    But no human touch
    If life is subtraction
    Your number is up
    Your love is a fraction
    It's not adding up

    (Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh)

    EDIT: I should perhaps add that, infuriating as I find BB a lot of the time, his posts do actually contribute a lot, and as a general principle the banstick is something that shouldn't get overused.
    Perhaps his admission the other day that he was actually wrong about something just upset the natural order of things a little bit too much
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,523
    iainf72 wrote:
    Aurelio
    Bernie
    Dennisn (his wierdest creation)
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • stanislavstanislav Posts: 1,151
    Sad to see the demise of BB,Maybe the poster who was effing and blinding at BB the other week should be banned too.
    Also,Is the role of a moderater compatable with someone who has an opinion on nearly everything thats posted on pro race? :wink:
    PTP winner 2015.
  • DeadCalmDeadCalm Posts: 3,759
    mercsport wrote:
    BB knew his stuff. Informed. He was lucid, erudite and reliably the best thing to read on any of these forums.
    Oh come on, I'm not one for banning anyone but informed, lucid and erudite, you're having a laugh. The guy occasionally rose to the level of a poor A Level philosophy student but certainly no higher.
    Team My Man 2021:

    Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Mauri Vansevenant, Simon Carr, Pavel Sivakov, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Benoit Cosnefroy, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,898
    DeadCalm wrote:
    mercsport wrote:
    BB knew his stuff. Informed. He was lucid, erudite and reliably the best thing to read on any of these forums.
    Oh come on, I'm not one for banning anyone but informed, lucid and erudite, you're having a laugh. The guy occasionally rose to the level of a poor A Level philosophy student but certainly no higher.

    He always reminded me of this character (with the pony tail from about 1:15) from Good Will Hunting. Someone who could regurgitate lots of other people's ideas at will to pass himself off as a thinker, but has no original thoughts of his own.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • BakuninBakunin Posts: 868
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    mercsport wrote:
    BB knew his stuff. Informed. He was lucid, erudite and reliably the best thing to read on any of these forums.
    Oh come on, I'm not one for banning anyone but informed, lucid and erudite, you're having a laugh. The guy occasionally rose to the level of a poor A Level philosophy student but certainly no higher.

    He always reminded me of this character (with the pony tail from about 1:15) from Good Will Hunting. Someone who could regurgitate lots of other people's ideas at will to pass himself off as a thinker, but has no original thoughts of his own.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

    I suppose that makes you Matt Damon? All-around genius?

    That big race better start -- people have really lost the plot of a bike race forum.
  • Probably wrong but what are the chances that due to the tour bringing in more noobies, they have benched him in the interest of not spooking them ? :wink:

    For the record hope he will be let back on, or he finds his way back like when Aurelio got banned
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • Yellow PerilYellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It might be that he kicked off in PM's with the mods which is something we wouldn't be privy to. In which case he needs to take his ban on the chin, serve his time and make yet another comeback which would probably even make Ricco blush.

    I've got confidence in the Mods on this forum and like their enthusiasm and contribution (despite their obsession with Belgian flooring products)
    @JaunePeril

    Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • bazbadgerbazbadger Posts: 553
    Lots of BB love coming out now!

    It's not so much what you say, but how you say it. that simple fact seemed to go way over BBs head most of time.
    Mens agitat molem
  • tremaynetremayne Posts: 378
    I saw him as being a little 'over focused' on certain subjects dear to his heart. Didnt really see any of it at outrageously offensive - just a little 'samey'!

    I'm sure the extreme importance of the cause he championed will mean he is forced to return at some future point. This is inevitable.

    Can he return without being immediately identified? I doubt this and would suggest a sweepstake is run on how many posts it takes before he shows his true self! I think 7 (the number sits well with me).
  • Hi all,

    BB, having my personal e-mail address and now being unable to post, has asked me to forward the following.


    Fellow 'forum type people'.

    Thanks for the words of support (from some!) but I somehow doubt that Bernie / Aurelio will be permitted back on this forum, and perhaps that is for the best. Whatever the real reason for me being banned, I think that 'abuse of other forum members' is hardly the true reason, and I have certainly received far more abuse than I have ever handed out. Perhaps it was simply because I asked if the moderator's guidelines could be made public. This seems to be such an inflammatory thing to do that my request (over in the office section) was deleted: never question autocratic power! (And whether this was the work of Nick C, or another admin, or whether Nick C sent a PM asking that I be banned because he didn't have the balls to put his name to the action is neither here nor there.)

    It could be that someone took exception to my pointing out some of the inconsistencies in the reason given for believing that 'Wiggo' and Sky are clean. As someone has pointed out, if Wiggo goes well this year this forum can expect lots of new posters and the 'powers that be' might well not want another 'Armstrong is doped / no he isn't' debate to rage and so spoil all the good feeling, which is fair enough. Not that I was planning on provoking such a debate anyhow!

    I think that it was a similar situation, but in relation to Armstrong, that led 'Aurelio' to be banned by Jeff Jones. The 'official' reason give was that I referred to the abusive 'jackhammer' as 'jacking off thinking of Lance'. Hardly enough to justify a permanent ban one might have thought, especially given the much harsher abuse that both I and others have been subject to, but back then my insistence on highlighting all the evidence that showed Armstrong was a doper was not always welcome. In fact, I even got a PM from the editor of a 'well known cycling publication' asking me to take it easy on the criticism of Armstrong and the racing press for failing to be more critical of Armstrong, promising that they were 'working on' a big investigative piece. This never did materialize!

    I see that some have not been slow to start to rewrite history, accusing me of many things that simply do not stand up to scrutiny. I feel that countering these would be rather a waste of time, in that if people want to believe nonsense, they will, so I won't bother.

    I also note that others have suggested that I have Asperger's syndrome and that I 'need to get out more'. Well, ironically perhaps, whilst I do not have Asperger's syndrome (as far as I know) I do have to spend a lot of time indoors caring for my little boy who has speech, learning and behavioural problems and will shortly be assessed for possible autism. My posting on here has often been a break and much-needed intellectual stimulus from my everyday challenges, which are made no easier by living in a country where everything has to be conducted in what is, to a significant extent, still a foreign language to me. Of course, as people might have guessed, I also enjoy the stimulus of a bloody good argument! The main reason that I ended up arguing about bike racing is because, lets face it, it is all pretty much an irrelevance. Getting into debates about more serious issues such as politics or what is laughingly called 'road safety' is far too depressing and only acts to further undermine my already fairly pessimistic view of 'human nature'.

    Anyhow, enjoy the Tour and don't ban TheYorkshireMan, who in any case has only a passing interest in this section of the forum. I have perhaps said too much about myself here and may decide to ask him to delete it!

    BB.
  • calvjonescalvjones Posts: 3,850
    bye BB and bon chance. I for one will miss you. A bit :D

    good luck with the boy.

    Ave calves bannees, ave calves.
    ___________________

    Strava is not Zen.
  • ratsbeyfusratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    So Dennisn was:

    dennis%20apocalypse-250.jpg

    to BB's:

    Marlon-Brando-as-Kurtz-in-Apocalypse-Now4.jpg

    Does this make Rick ?:

    martin_sheen_apocalypse_now_redux_002.jpg


    I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

    @ratsbey
  • TMRTMR Posts: 3,986
    OMG! The drama!

    Best of luck with your son Bernie.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 22,092
    Pfft, I mean best of luck with the boy Bernie obviously, but seeing as how you have been in this position before, don't you think it might have been better just to back off a bit when the same storm clouds were gathering? It's not like this was a surprise to anyone.... The request was to keep threads on topic, it wasnt rocket science.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jerry3571jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Is this a AC type ban where previous achievements are deleted from the public records and gets a few months off or is this an Ullrich ban where previous records are deleted and he is banned for eternity??
    I thought as it's a cycling forum then we can have inconsistent banning rules on this also. :)

    Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

    "You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
This discussion has been closed.