Two minor or major problems

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Yesterday as I was just about to go for a ride I pumped my tyres up, the front valve completed came off as I was unscrewing the cap. I screwed it back on and went for a ride. Can this happened? and is there a reason for this happening.
Secondly as I was riding there was a piece of my front tire flapping about, and eventually fell off..Is this a sign to get new tyres? I've only had these for 2 months and I've only clocked around 70miles.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I take it this was the inner part of the valve and not the body - yes they can unscrew and you can get replacements - not sure if this is all types though.. If you screwed it back on and the tube stayed pumped up then it's fine.

Tyre flapping about is not good ... how big was the piece - sounds like you may have hit a stone/object with it ... 70 miles is nothing for a tyre - mine (23mm) are 1000 miles in (through some pretty rough roads and a few tracks) and looking fine - although I may replace them before the autumn.
    You may be able to ride on it - but at the least you'll be more susceptible to punctures - at worst it'll blow out when you're flying down a hill at the furthest point from home in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal (but that could happen anyway!)
  • GSJ
    Slowbike wrote:
    I take it this was the inner part of the valve and not the body - yes they can unscrew and you can get replacements - not sure if this is all types though.. If you screwed it back on and the tube stayed pumped up then it's fine.

Tyre flapping about is not good ... how big was the piece - sounds like you may have hit a stone/object with it ... 70 miles is nothing for a tyre - mine (23mm) are 1000 miles in (through some pretty rough roads and a few tracks) and looking fine - although I may replace them before the autumn.
    You may be able to ride on it - but at the least you'll be more susceptible to punctures - at worst it'll blow out when you're flying down a hill at the furthest point from home in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal (but that could happen anyway!)

Hi! thanks for your quick reply..

The piece was around..an inch, not sure how thick (It may have been smaller) as soon as I saw it, it fell off about 5 seconds after. I inspected the tyre as soon as I got home, and couldn't see where it had come off from.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    GSJ wrote:
    The piece was around..an inch, not sure how thick (It may have been smaller) as soon as I saw it, it fell off about 5 seconds after. I inspected the tyre as soon as I got home, and couldn't see where it had come off from.
    Are you sure it wasn't some rubbish off the road?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Slowbike wrote:
    GSJ wrote:
    Are you sure it wasn't some rubbish off the road?

+1
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    GSJ wrote:
    ... the front valve completed came off as I was unscrewing the cap.
    Continental tube? There was a thread about them being loose a month or so back. If so, you should check/tighten any stock you have.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • GSJ
    It may have been something off the floor, I'll check again to make sure.
    And yeah it's a continental tube.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    conti seem to ship the tubes with the cores a bit loose

on all your tubes, use a core tool or some pliers to do the cores up *tight*, i do it whenever i buy some new tubes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I've also had the same problem with Continental tubes. Tightened the loose core up with a pair of pliers and they've been fine since.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB