So in anticipation of new bike...

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
... which doesnt take a rack i'm going to need a bigger back pack for some of my commutes (not all).

Now my pannier bag is 21 litres so I'm thinking that a 20 litre bag is sufficient.

Does anyone have any experience of the ortlieb backpacks?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ort ... 4#features
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ort ... 6#features

I'm thinking the messenger bag is too big... but whats the velocity like?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got the Velocity: It's very comfortable and waterproof and your back doesn't get that sweaty.

However, it's not compressible and so it's that size whatever you are carrying in it. Also because of it's shape I find that it obscures vision over your shoulder when full. I should imagine that the 30l is worse in this respect.

I now use an Alpkit Gourdon instead. Still waterproof, still comfortable, but compresses and has a couple of external pockets. Oh, and the 20l version is less that a third the price of the Velocity.

I attach a Fiber Flare to the compression webbing whereas my Velocity is covered in reflective tape.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    hmm thanks, good points. will bear it in mind. however the squareness is appealing for carrying shirts

i have a small deuter race backpack so could get another one of those as they are very comfortable.

those alpkits look nice but very flimsy, how long have you been using it?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No airspace back as far as I can see - wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Don't need squareness for shirts - just fold them and roll them.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spasypaddy
    wouldnt touch which one with a barge pole? the ortlieb or the gourdon?
  • rolf_f
    spasypaddy wrote:
    wouldnt touch which one with a barge pole? the ortlieb or the gourdon?

Sorry - the very square looking Ortliebs. Didn't check the Gourdon.

FWIW, I just got a random walking back pack (labelled MountainLife - cost about £30 three years ago and it's still doing OK. Main zip is a bit iffey in one direction but if this thing can last this long then, for example, I'd expect the Alpkit stuff to do at least as well) - marked at 35l which allows me to pick up a decent bit of shopping. The air back does reduce the effective useable space but it really does also reduce the contact patch.

It certainly isn't as waterproof as the Ortliebs but I use a Hump or the internal showerproof cover if need be and clothes go in a plastic bag inside.
  • spasypaddy
    this is the back and the straps:
    YlKAd.jpg

im leaning towards it as all the ortleib stuff is very well made.
  • asprilla
    spasypaddy wrote:
    hmm thanks, good points. will bear it in mind. however the squareness is appealing for carrying shirts

i have a small deuter race backpack so could get another one of those as they are very comfortable.

those alpkits look nice but very flimsy, how long have you been using it?

I was a bit worried when I saw that the Gourdon was delivered with a couple of self adhesive patches for repair. 18 months later though and it's fine. I don't think I've used my Ortleib since.

I don't worry about sweaty back. I sweat anyway when I ride.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • spasypaddy
    damn, now its a tough decision. i like sub pockets as well so that my phone/wallet aren't in the middle of everything else so i can get to them when i need them.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    +1 for the Alpkit Gourdon.. 20l one is fine, use it every day. 100% waterproof. Lightweight but very tough, has stood up to a couple of offs. The patches are only to repair holes due to pointy things - never needed them. Its not an air back but as I sweat anyway at anything faster than walking pace it makes no odds for me...

I roll my shirt around socks/underwear, works for me. I hang shirt up when I shower and any small creases drop out. I keep phone/wallet/entry pass in a ziploc bag in one of the side pockets, toolkit in the other.

7268137356_a88acdcdda_b.jpg
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • spasypaddy
    will have a think over the weekend.

anyone else got any suggestions?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    any bag will be fine. The cheaper the better. Bin liners are waterproof and free
  • spasypaddy
    coriordan wrote:
    any bag will be fine. The cheaper the better. Bin liners are waterproof and free
    now this i completely disagree with. if you are using it every day and doing decent mileage then a comfortable backpack is essential.
  • rolf_f
    spasypaddy wrote:
    YlKAd.jpg

So does that very square, very flat looking back look like it is a complimentary shape to your back as you pedal gracefully/clumsily as applicable too and from work?

If it does, you are an odder shape than I imagine you to be :lol:
    (to me, it looks deeply uncomfortable).
  • spasypaddy
    ok so alpkit are sold out of the 20 and the 25. would the 30 litre bag be too big?
  • asprilla
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    YlKAd.jpg

So does that very square, very flat looking back look like it is a complimentary shape to your back as you pedal gracefully/clumsily as applicable too and from work?

If it does, you are an odder shape than I imagine you to be :lol:
    (to me, it looks deeply uncomfortable).

It's very comfortable. I've used it regularly on 40+ mile round trip commutes with no issues.

I've never used the waist straps though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • i have the 25, and i can fit seat bag with tools, jeans, tshirt, undies, salad, crisps, can drink, waterproof trousers, waterproof jacket and overshoes and wallet etc.. with a little bit of room to spare, but they are great products, if you dont want the bright colours, check out the stealth range of bags, as they might have your size.

oh and forgot to add my mini track pump as well :lol:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • spasypaddy
    im going to get an alpkit, but my question is, is 30 litres too much. is the bag then too big?

the stealth is also sold out in a 25, but thanks for the suggestion
  • it could be to be honest, when my clothes and food are out of the bag, i then have half the space unused, and you wouldn't be able to roll the bag down to accomodate the space because of the shoulder straps.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • spasypaddy
    ok thanks. i guess i'll have to wait until they get them back in stock in a 25. I've emailed them so hopefully they'll find the odd bag knocking around their warehouse...

20s and 25s arent coming back into stock until july. my current backpack isnt big enough and when i get my new bike i wont have the ability to carry a pannier bag.

balls.
  • spasypaddy
    30 litre is the only one available and its in blue which clashes with nearly all my kit except for one jersey.

im very desperate to get a new bag but i just cant bring myself to do it.