Stumpjumper chainslip

Stephenjames
Stephenjames Posts: 47
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a Specialized '08 Stumpjumper HT. Recently the chain started to slip, mostly on the middle sprockets. I took it to my local bike shop who shortened the chain, replaced the gear cable and alignned the gears. After a 12 miles ride it has started to slip again quite badly. The chainslip has become quite bad, I have shortened the chain by two links and aligned the gears once moree, but still it won't hold a gear. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    worn cassette. worn chain. worn chain rings.

any or all of the above.

shortening a chain will not fix worn out parts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But it will put money in the till. Kaching.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for your input guys. Bike shop says rear derailleur cable stretch.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In that case it just needs a tweak of the barrel adjuster. Approx 5 seconds. You don't need a shop for that, follow the link to Parktools in Nick's sig.
    But in any event I would find a new bike shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thnx again for the info guys. The bike shop got it running like clock work after the second visit. Learnt a thing or two by chatting with the mechanic. Will check out the Parktools site.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So the chain was not slipping but jumping due to miss alignment ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some bike mechanic, try speaking to one who knows what he's doing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.