Main frame to rear forks worn bushes

Johny-B
Johny-B Posts: 9
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi, I ride a very rough, probably slightly 'vintage' Falcon Combat (24 inch wheels, 21 speed, no idea how to measure frame size on these, but I'm only 5' 6" and have the seat very high), but the bushes on the 'swinging arm rear forks' where it joins the main frame, are very worn, and the rear frame is now moving side to side slightly, as well as up and down. It's making handling a bit hazardous. I would like to repace the bushes or 'shells' or whatever is fitted and would like some advice on doing this before I start taking it to pieces. Local bike shop said the parts wouldn't be available any more ??? But having looked on ebay I've seen a kit for 'Pivot bushes (plastic) and bolts' and I wonder if this is what i need to do the job. They don't specify any make of bikes but say that many bikes are fitted with similar, BUT some maybe fitted with metal bushes and this kit wouldn't be suitable. Does anyone know what kit I will need and what bushes are fitted in a Falcon Combat. Please.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is very hard to say, in fact impossible. They would be fitted with no part numbers as very budget kit, might even be their own make.

Your best bet is to take them to a bearing and bushing supplier to try and match them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not call it vintage or even old.

pivots etc are not generic. so you will need to get the correct ones.

find a better bike shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Maybe I'm just getting (am) old but 'Vintage' and rear suspension don't go together if you ask me...hell any bike with suspension forks seems modern to me!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Johny-B
    Johny-B Posts: 9
    You may note i put the word 'vintage' in like this, with the word 'slightly' in front of it. It probs my poor sense of humour. What i meant is it's old and second hand and i don't know year of manufacture. I've just bought a cheap Silverfox, full susp with 21 gears, so will now have time to strip out the Falcon.
    I'm 62½ years old so don't exactly go mountain biking in the true sense, but i do like a bit of off roading and some nice mud plugging. And i do find that i need all the cogs even with the small 24 inch wheels as i have a couple of local slopes I need to climb. One of then takes me home.