First 80m ride and food

oneimaginaryboy
oneimaginaryboy Posts: 16
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I'm planning my first ride over 80 mile ride at the weekend.

Does anyone have any guidance as to what food/fluid to take ? Thinking about taking two bottles of SIS Go electrolyte, a couple of energy bars and maybe a banana if I can fit it in.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    We're all different but if i'm doing over 60 i tend to have a bit of "my" flapjack every 15 miles and i take 750ml of electrolyte and 500ml of water(little and often) plus a couple of gels just in case.
    I did a ton on that the other week and i usually have Poached egg on wholemeal toast for Breakfast and then a banana before i hit the road.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Why not just plan a stop at halfway
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Why not just plan a stop at halfway

+1
    Preferably somewhere with a decent cafe where you can have a large chunk of chocolate fudge cake
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What's your previous longest ? What did you eat on that ?
  • djfleming22
    djfleming22 Posts: 116
    On my last run of 102 miles i put on one of those Topeak bags that go on the rear of your seat post i took a tub of pasta and mackerel.. felt great after have something to eat half way round also took cereal bars, Torq drinks and Bananas and felt really good the next day after ride
  • Bozman
    If you're doing the 80 miles as a social ride then stop, but if the 80 miles is a challenge why would you stop?
    If a runner sets out to run 20 miles would he stop for tea and toast after 10 miles? Would a swimmer get out of the pool and go for a rest halfway through a long swim, stopping just doesn't make sense if that 80 miles is a personal challenge.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    cougie wrote:
    What's your previous longest ? What did you eat on that ?

+1. I hope you haven't just leapt to 80miles from something relatively small! If you are thinking of gels then try some on smaller rides first because I found some didn't agree with me. Actually the most trouble free ride I ever did was after stopping half-way at the Eureka cafe and having a flapjack and a cup of green tea. Sometimes the traditional stuff is far better than the heavily marketed 'scientific' solutions.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    alidaf wrote:
    1. I hope you haven't just leapt to 80miles from something relatively small! If you are thinking of gels then try some on smaller rides first because I found some didn't agree with me. Actually the most trouble free ride I ever did was after stopping half-way at the Eureka cafe and having a flapjack and a cup of green tea. Sometimes the traditional stuff is far better than the heavily marketed 'scientific' solutions.

Agree with Alidaf. I've tried the goo in tubes and found they made no appreciable difference plus they taste awful. My best performance was done with Soreen bars (the small ones from the supermarket) - 3 should do it, Water Bottle and the other bottle filled with Coca Cola (I'd run out of electrolyte drink). Maybe the inevitable flatulence added power. Also, suggest you start with porridge as it's a slow release carb and a banana before kick off.

If you log your route on one of the many sites available - try the training section on Bike Radar - it'll give you an indication of the calories you'll be burning. You need to refuel to allow for the loss depending on your goals.

Enjoy the ride
    Someone's just passed me again
  • Thanks for your thoughts.

I usually ride 35-40 miles twice a week and usually take a 750 bottle of water.

I hoped 80 would be doable albeit at a much slower pace.

Didn't really want to stop but I've never ridden 4/5 hours or possibly longer before. I always thought it would be really difficult to start again if i stopped.
  • Bozman
    It looks windy this weekend so that won't help your cause but just plan your route well and take your time.
    If you plan a route where you can have drop off points, you can cut your route short without leaving yourself too far from home and if you feel you can go further, you do.
    If you've got the time it's purely up to you whether you do it or not, you won't get a medal but it'll give you a sense of achievement.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Eat before you're hungry and drink before you're thirsty. You're better off having little and often rather than stopping for a slap up meal at half way. Every 20 mins or so - have a bite of an energy bar, flapjack, soreen, whatever takes your fancy.

You may need to plan in a stop to refill your bottles depending on how hot it is.

Have a nice ride.