Brain is near bursting.... Buying advice please..

1981miked
1981miked Posts: 259
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

I'm in the market for a road bike around the £800 mark, I have looked at second hand but I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that the bike is new and I have come back if necessary.

I have looked at all sorts but I am keen on the following bikes:

Vitus Dark Plasma:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=70370

Focus Variado 2.0:
http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bikes ... -20-6.html

So is it better to get the carbon frame on the Vitus but have a step down in group set to Tiagra or have the aluminuim frame of the Focus and have the 105 group set. I'm guessing the wheels on the Vitus are also a tad better than the Focus aswell. The finishing kit is much the same.

The Vitus weighs just over 18lbs (according to website)
The Focus weighs over 21lbs (according to website.. This also seems very heavy for the kit on it)

I'm thinking the wheels on the Focus must be a fair old weight!!

The bike will be used for commuting, weekend rides and hopefully a couple of sportives when I get motivated.
I had a 50cm Cube Peloton but had to sell it, I'm using that as a guide for geometry and sizing on the Vitus, my LBS stocks Focus so I'll visit there tomorrow or Saturday.

So what's your thinking folks?

HELP!

Comments

• centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Whichever you go for, i dont think you'll regret in the long term. Bikes at these pricepoints nowadays are so much alike, there's no bad ones in terms of relaibility etc.
    The Vitus has the WH-R500 wheelset. Theyve been around quite a while, budget wheelset but well made, quite bombproof (ive had them on my winter commuter for 3 or 4 trouble free years)...although moderately heavy.
    Wheelset on the Focus...no idea.

Its a simple trade off. CF frame and Tiagra , alloy frame and 105.

Another trade off...i have a CF, noticeably smoother than my alloy. I look at the derailleur mounts etc, all rivetted (and bonded probably)...and think, what if i smack them in a fall. Its all a trade off...

Having had a CF now, i'd miss the smoothness of it if i went back to alloy. I'd gladly sacrifice the slightly better groupset for that. JMO.
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 983
    Check Westbrook cycles as they have a massive sale on at the minute, you will need to ring the shop for prices as the web site has not been updated, i just bought a Cannandale CAAD10 105 for less than a grand, £450 off
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • 1981miked
    Check that website thanks mate, think I'll still to my original choices tho, not much in the size I need unfortunately.

Thanks anyway.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    As advised via PM - £800 secondhand offers you the potential of a £1500-£2000 bike that might still be in VGC. As long as you know what you are buying and if you can pay cash on collection, so that you can walk away if it doesn't look great, then that would be my recommendation.

Carbon frame with at least 105 or Ultegra groupset and Aksium/Kysrium wheels ought to come well in to that budget.

That's where my money would be heading.
  • 1981miked
    Limited with my location mate, I'm in Dundee in Scotland but I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

It's not that I don't know what I'm buying but I think having a new bike is better for piece of mind. I'm waiting for a couple of emails back tho so will hopefully get something sorted by the end of the weekend.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Its probably going to be difficult, but seriously, try before you buy. Bikes vary a lot in how they feel and respond, even at that level.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Scottish commutes can be cold and wet. Are those bikes suitable?
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Im in the same situation as you, although I would have ordered the Vitus by now if CRC accepted cyclescheme vouchers. I did fancy the Focus too but the weight really put me off. Another option you could consider is the Ribble Evo Pro Carbon, which is £830 with tiagra.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    When buying a bike I think along these lines importance wise'

1,Frame
    2,Wheels
    3,Group set
    4,Finishing kit

When you think about it, it's the most logical way.

One of the best up-grades can be tyres, relatively cheap but can make a world of difference.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.