What size kneepads?

Trailblazers
Trailblazers Posts: 31
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Sorry this is probably a FAQ but i'm struggling a bit:

i'm 14inches across the middle of the knee but don't know what size to order: small or medium?
I've had a look at the size charts (with top opening and bottom opening measurements) but since i've never brought kneepads i don't know where about on the leg i need to measure?

Thanks,

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What pads?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sorry this is probably a FAQ but i'm struggling a bit:

i'm 14inches across the middle of the knee but don't know what size to order: small or medium?
    Across? Are you sure?
    Cause that would mean your knees have a circumference of 43", each.
    I'm not sure someone with legs that big could actually ride a bike.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I can't remember the name of the track cyclist with the 36" thighs, but this guy can still cycle:

cyclistlegs.jpg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    If those are his thighs, and they're "only" (that's a strange use of the word :lol:) 36 inches, then you can imagine what 43" knees would look like.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    there you go, a 43" knee :lol:

post-op002.jpg

Note: If your knee looks like this, I'd not recommend riding your bike.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    :lol:
    My point still stands then.
    Also, can anyone say "Steroids" in that track riding image?
  • Thanks for the help anyway :x much appreciated...
  • mcnultycop
    I've got big old quads and hamstrings as I squat heavily 3 times a week. I was worried about buying pads online so I went to the LBS and tried some on. I ended up getting some O'Neill ones and they fit a treat.
  • what size?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Go try some on for dogsakes.
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    Body armour is probably worth trying on somewhere. There is no point wearing knee pads that are slightly too big or going to be uncomfortable.

The other alternative is to do what I do with CRC (as it has free returns) is to buy 3 pairs and see which fit best (and if I am still unsure I buy more).
  • mcnultycop
    what size?

XL, but just go and try some on. Knee pads seem to be one of those things where you don't make a massive saving by buying online, so just go to a decent shop.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    Doesn't help with how conflicting the size guides are.
    Just buying some myself and looking at 661 Evo, wiggle say to measure 20cm up from middle of knee cap and 15cm down. Based on 661s own size chart that puts me off the scale for the top (49cm thigh) and just over medium on the bottom (35cm calf). But the wiggle size chart put's me at the top end of medium thigh and bottom end of medium calf. So i'm going with medium since 661 size chart doesn't specify where to measure from, just helpfully says "measure round... top and bottom where pad ends" :roll: