Calf Pain

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,312
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Can anyone recommend a good stretch for calves?

Since doing a long ride in May, I've had a bit of pain every time I've ridden. Sometimes worse than others. I can always ride on it, but I can't push it like I want to at times.

It's not in the middle of the calf, it's sort of from the outside of each knee and down. Looking at a diagram of a calf I think it's the Fibularis Longus, but I might be wrong.

I don't know how to stretch it. The standard, lean against a wall, leg back, heel on floor, is fine - but this stretches the main back part. Some other stretches say to also then bend the knee of the leg you are stretching. This just feels uncomfortable (not in a stretching way, just in a - my ankle doesn't bend enough for it to seem to achieve any more stretch - way).

Any ideas? It's in both legs. Maybe I should look at getting my cleats adjusted. The long ride was shortly after switching to road shoes instead of mtb.
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    pangolin wrote:
    Maybe I should look at getting my cleats adjusted..

My experience is that the fore-aft adjustment of the cleat makes a huge difference to the work my calves are doing (not surprising I suppose). I doubt stretching is the solution - more a treatment for the symptom
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pangolin
    Good point, I'll try moving them back a bit. How far is a sensible small amount?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Is it ITB syndrome? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

If so, then it is "curable" with stretching. Loads on Google.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    pangolin wrote:
    Good point, I'll try moving them back a bit. How far is a sensible small amount?

I'd go quite radical - I was very surprised how differently my two cleats were set by The Bike Whisperer. Try going most of the way back (3/4+?) and see what happens.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Stag on
    Stag on Posts: 99
    Try foam rollers. Again several vids on youtube.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I get massive calf aches after riding my (modified) Brompton, but not any of my other bikes. I use the same shoes onthe Brompton and several other bikes, so in my case it's not the cleat position. Must be something subtle about the position, but I'm quite puzzled as the result of the Brompton mods is to replicate the riding position of my other bikes; the bar/saddle/bottom bracket triangle is very similar...

I had to use the massage tent after the Brompton World Champs, which seemed quite silly...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pangolin
    Went to see a physio this eve as they're still hurting. Outside of my calves are now shaved and taped up like everyone's favourite Italian footballer's back. Say hello tomorrow if you see the blue wonders flash by (as you pass).
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ben6899 wrote:

I have no syndrome what are you talking about?

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pangolin
    pangolin wrote:
    Went to see a physio this eve as they're still hurting. Outside of my calves are now shaved and taped up like everyone's favourite Italian footballer's back. Say hello tomorrow if you see the blue wonders flash by (as you pass).

It worked! First pain free ride in weeks.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    pangolin wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

Shaving as a cure for pain? :shock:
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • pangolin
    Turns out yes it is! The wax felt lovely at first too. A few moments of pain, especially around the bikini line, but I suspect I will be the better rider for it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    pangolin wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

How are things now with the calves, still ok since the taping?

If so, I have the same as you, how did the tape get applied as I would like to try that option...
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Tape for short term relief, but ultimately you have some foam rollers/tennis balls/hockey balls/golf balls in your future to work out the locked muscle... Fun!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    As you might guess from my avatar, I have learnt a thing or two about ankles in the last couple of years.

I forget the latin, but the muscle you are talking about gets worked too hard when your main calf muscle (I forget the latin for that too) is too weak. Long term, try to strengthen your calves to take the strain of what's hurting.

To stretch it, which isn't too comfortable, I think you need to pull your foot inwards. Sit with the offending calf over one knee, hold the ankle down with one hand and pull the foot in with a little twist and push up to the balls of the feet. Its quite a complex motion but you are trying to mimic the feeling of trying to clip out of your pedals whilst pushing on the inside ball of your foot a bit.

Make any sense? Oh.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Tape for short term relief, but ultimately you have some foam rollers/tennis balls/hockey balls/golf balls in your future to work out the locked muscle... Fun!
    Taping eh? If its the brighly coloured stuff which Adidas use as submliminal advertising on certain footballers, you may find sugar pills more helpful.

Alternatively, if its the white stuff that Rafa Nadal uses to run off tendonitis which would make mere mortals cry like a girl, then apply more tape and ride more.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ben6899 wrote:

i have no syndrome how very dare you :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Taping eh? If its the brighly coloured stuff which Adidas use as submliminal advertising on certain footballers, you may find sugar pills more helpful.

Alternatively, if its the white stuff that Rafa Nadal uses to run off tendonitis which would make mere mortals cry like a girl, then apply more tape and ride more.

Nah, it works on my dodgy leg, but I'd only ever have it on as preventative of further damage.

Your how to stretch instructions are about right though.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?