New CF Bike Dilemma

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
I have a VN Mistral which is great but for 2 years now i have lusted after a CF bike. My new employer offers the C2W scheme so i am mulling over a few options;
Moda Stretto £2k
Ribble Stealth £1300
Do Nothing

The Moda is great but i dont really want another £2k bike. The Ribble would be built with Campag Centaur (Red/Black not a compact), Standard Rodi Evo Aero Wheels etc and a few other red bits.

The Ribble would cost me about £950 in all so a bit of a bargain.

I want the CF bike as i want to try a bike thats fast and stiff and offers a different riding experience to the Ti (largely due to reading NAPDs posts!)

What do you think- Deal or no deal with the Ribble? Is it worth having two bikes? will i notice the difference between the two?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're not too worried about riding one of the "Big Brands" then put the Trek Madone 3.1 into your equation.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/21841/mad ... leShopping

Just won the shoot out test in Cycling + for bikes in the £1600 price bracket. With some haggling I reckon you could get one for £1300 or maybe less as the 2012 models will be replaced soon by the 2013 incarnations.

Come to think of it, if you can find one, a 2012 Madone 3.5 would be a great buy
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I have a Ribble Sportive - My next bike will probably be a Ribble Stealth.

Having looked at one in the factory shop (one of the lightest bikes I've picked up), the reviews they get and the fact they actually look better in the flesh, they are a bargain
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • bmxboy10
    Dont really want a trekalized, was looking at the new Pearsons too but the Stealth just stands out for me. Just dont know if i will notice a difference. i think i will like the CF over the Ti and if that were that case i guess i coulds sell the Ti if it sat around not seeing much daylight...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    3. I wouldn't bother with a CF frame unless it was pro-level frame
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    3. I wouldn't bother with a CF frame unless it was pro-level frame

This is a fair point as you get what you pay for. The cheaper CF bikes are perfectly fine but do not offer the same balance between stiffness and comfort and there is a noticeable difference between even a Ribble Stealth and the lower end Madones like the 3.1 and 3.5 which are the same frame but the 3.5 is specced slightly better.

If you don't fancy a Trek and want something more unique maybe worth saving for something like the Isaac kaon as featured in this months c+. I'd also recommend the cube gtc as it is great value with decent wheels and finishing kit.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • bmxboy10
    I can get a Cube and do quite like them just fancied the Ribble dont know why!
  • bmxboy10
    How is the Cube a pro level frame though in comparison to the ribble? Nightmare!