Larger sized baggies - A call for help

andyonwight
andyonwight Posts: 72
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am starting to get into cycling a lot more, doing at least 12miles every other day at the moment, but I do have a problem that I am sure I am not the only one around.

I will admit to be on the larger size and whilst trying to find shorts and liners to fit to make some of my riding more comfortable. Looked at most of the main manufacturers and they seem to stop at 44" waist. I wear 44-46" waist trouser depending on the way they are cut (sit down in office job) or 48" when out walking etc but so far I have not found any shorts or anyone that does them for the larger man.

Yes it may seem a bit of expense as I am trying to downsize around the middle but my current shorts go very see through when wet which then spoils my riding.

Be grateful for any help.
Andy
Weight on June 18th 129kg
Target By June 15th 2013 - 100kg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Weight July 1st - 127.3kg

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Endura's XXL is 42-44" waist (so I'm told :) ) and personally everything Endura I've bought has been absolutely mahoosive so I imagine you would be OK with their XXL

Have also bought Dakine and Animal DH/FR baggies that have been big enough to have their own postcode so maybe worth a look there
  • Not sure how large Dare2b go, but i always go one size down on what they say on the website.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Endura Singletracks are big for their stated size, Endura Humvees are small. A 'medium' pair of humvees are a lot smaller than a 'small' pair of singletracks. So Singletracks in the biggest size possible should fit.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I got some dHb bib shorts and I had a 46" waist when I started cycling; I then just wore non-cycling specific shorts over the top of them. I then got "proper baggies and liner" when I could get some that fitted comfortably. The issue I had when my waist was at it's biggest was that cycling shorts/liners wouldn't necessarily stay up where I wanted them on the waist, and would slip under my belly. Bib-shorts put a stop to this.

The Sports Direct Muddy Fox brand goes up to 3 and 4xl in shorts and bibs, so this is a cheaper option.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    top tip for the rider who likes his ale and pies. Lycra bibs not shorts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    .blitz wrote:
    Endura's XXL is 42-44" waist (so I'm told :) ) and personally everything Endura I've bought has been absolutely mahoosive so I imagine you would be OK with their XXL
    Nonsense.
    Every Endura trouser I've bought has had really narrow, and strangely short legs. I'm a 32-34" waist, but have to buy XXL Endura overtrousers or leggings, or they're just tight around the thighs, and too short.
    The waist is big, but it's certainly not in the 40"+ range.

If you're big, stay away from Endura.
  • bails87
    .blitz wrote:
    Nonsense.
    Every Endura trouser I've bought has had really narrow, and strangely short legs. I'm a 32-34" waist, but have to buy XXL Endura overtrousers or leggings, or they're just tight around the thighs, and too short.

Maybe the two of you have bought different things?

I'm a 32" waist in jeans and suit trousers. MY medium Endura Humvees are snug, sometimes I can't get them shut and have to rely on the belt rather than the popper to hold them shut. My Endura Singletracks are a small. They're so big that with the adjusters taking up as much slack as possible I have to rely on the belt to stop them falling off me.

Maybe .blitz has bought Singletrack sized stuff and you've bought Humvee sized stuff and you're both right :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Interesting replies and will have to do some more research. Did try on a pair of the largest Endura shorts but still to small around the waist (gap of at least 2") and my the lower part would have been tight round the thigh.

Measured my thighs at the mid point to find that might right one (26") is 2" larger than my left (24") which makes sense to me why the cut of trousers makes a difference.

Think the search may go on a bit I may squeeze myself into a 44" but do not want them so they are tight and uncomfortable.

Thanks for all the pointers anyway.
    Weight on June 18th 129kg
    Target By June 15th 2013 - 100kg
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Weight July 1st - 127.3kg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    bails87 wrote:
    .blitz wrote:
    Nonsense.

Maybe the two of you have bought different things?

I'm a 32" waist in jeans and suit trousers. MY medium Endura Humvees are snug, sometimes I can't get them shut and have to rely on the belt rather than the popper to hold them shut. My Endura Singletracks are a small. They're so big that with the adjusters taking up as much slack as possible I have to rely on the belt to stop them falling off me.

Maybe .blitz has bought Singletrack sized stuff and you've bought Humvee sized stuff and you're both right :wink:
    You may be right, but everything I've ever even tried from Endura has had the similar skinnyness to it, even their gloves. Although admittedly the gloves do have long fingers. Or maybe they just look long because I can;t get my fingers inside them.

I have XL sized Endura singletrack shorts, (a gift) which I can't really wear, because they're bursting at the seams on the thighs, and are actually a bit tight on the knees, of all places. Oddly, the waist is fine, even a little loose.
    I swear they use the XKCD people as models :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Jacamo, clothes for real men (aka massive fatties)
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I swear they use the XKCD people as models :lol:

Genius!

I quite agree. Both my Enduras are an XL - I'm a 34" waist and without the belt, they won't stay done up. They are a bit snug around the waist, but then flappy around the legs. I can only assume Yeehaa has the legs of a power lifter to fill them b****rs.

A-line shorts - who knew?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Cr3do
    Cr3do Posts: 89
    Try Decathlon, the Rockrider baggies XXL fit me, and im around 42" waist.
    Rockrider 8.1 (2011)
  • kagefisk
    kagefisk Posts: 74
    Could not agree less with YehaaMcgee.
    I find the Endura Singletrack shorts fairly big for it size. It will easily allow for a inner layer on the colder days.
    Holds up nicely.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Perhaps you're XKCD?
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    bails87 wrote:
    Endura Singletracks are big for their stated size, Endura Humvees are small. A 'medium' pair of humvees are a lot smaller than a 'small' pair of singletracks. So Singletracks in the biggest size possible should fit.

I got the singletracks in medium (everything i get is normally medium, i'm a 32 waist) and they were way too tight, i was popping the fasterner open unless i was sucking in my gut and i'm not big by any stretch. I ended up replacing them with a pair of large humvees which fit fine. I can only assume that the large singletracks would have fitted fine as well and so can't see there would be much difference.
  • bails87
    MDobs wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I got the singletracks in medium (everything i get is normally medium, i'm a 32 waist) and they were way too tight, i was popping the fasterner open unless i was sucking in my gut and i'm not big by any stretch. I ended up replacing them with a pair of large humvees which fit fine. I can only assume that the large singletracks would have fitted fine as well and so can't see there would be much difference.

How strange. I originally ordered medium STs because I had medium Humvees that fitted (my 32" waist), but they must have been about a 40" waist :lol: I sent them back for the smalls that, as I said above, are loads bigger than my medium Humvees. I've since bought another pair of Humvees in medium and the fit is the same as the first pair, so maybe there was a batch of Singletracks with dodgy sizing?
    MTB/CX

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Madison clothing is big. I am normaly an XL bought a pair of there XL baggies and they were so big I could turn round in them without touching the sides.

Also Altura Flexx come up big and are stretchy.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    bails87 wrote:
    MDobs wrote:
    blah blah blah

How strange. I originally ordered medium STs because I had medium Humvees that fitted (my 32" waist), but they must have been about a 40" waist :lol: I sent them back for the smalls that, as I said above, are loads bigger than my medium Humvees. I've since bought another pair of Humvees in medium and the fit is the same as the first pair, so maybe there was a batch of Singletracks with dodgy sizing?

I think i remember reading a review somewhere on crc/wiggle etc that the sizing was quite inconsistent especially on some of the older stuff, but it was getting better. i got mine a month or so ago so maybe that was it.