Even Longer Commutes (Ultra-Commutes?)

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
By way of preparation for Malin to Mizen Head in August, I've been extending my commute. As I've always wondered what it would REALLY be like to do an epic "ultra-commute" (like the threads that come up on here) this has been a bit of a chance to find out. My normal commute is 30.5 miles RT. I've extended this to 55 miles with 2000ft of climbing and (without wishing to contribute to the commute speed debate) my average speed has been around 18.5mph. As of this morning, I've done 155 miles (including 1 30-mile day) and I've 40 more miles to do tonight. It'll be about 200 miles for the week.

My conclusion is that it's quite manageable. The only downside (apart from the time required) is the epic amounts of food required. Even assuming Garmin is estimating twice the calorie burn it really is, that's an additional 2300 calories or double a normal day. No sooner have I finished eating when it's time to start again - especially as I'm on a low-carb diet at the moment.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    is that 18.5mph moving average?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    And, do you stop for lights?
    :wink:
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Good work.

I've been doing a similar thing and increasing my mileage on my commute (although only 3 times per week which makes a massive difference) after trying out my first sportive (Dragon couple of weeks ago .. great fun). For context I'm curently upto approx 55-60 miles round trip with approx 4500-5000ft of climbing.

My biggest issues are:
    1. Climbing .. I could probably cycle for ever on the flat but the hills are killing me.
    2. Can't pace myself .. when I'm not on the hills I'm constantly trying to go as fast as I can. It turns into a kind of interval training - linking up fast parts of the trip, then coasting (less effort but still pedalling) and then back on the gas.

Food\Energy doesn't appear to be an issue for me (always been a bit of a scoffer and SHMBO does make exceedingly good food :-)

The upshot is I'm not sure if I could do this 4 times a week (let alone 5) so well done to you and good luck for the August trip.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    It's true that you Scotch fellas are nuts.
  • daxplusplus
    Just a quick question (or two): do you do the same route day in day out and slowely increasing the mileage of that one route? Or are you doing a much longer commute occasionally .. and hoping to increase it's frequecy to get the mileage up?

Reckon that's got to be a good way to introduce the increase in mileage. Guess it depends alot on the routes and the amount of climbing.

Another question - I know you've gone and gotten an expensive bike to do this on but any recommendations on the bike\kit .. I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels (to make the climbing easier and hopefully increase my speed on the flat too) but I'm worried about the longevity of lighter, more aero wheels.

strava profile
  • meanredspider
    LMAO - I didn't want to get into that debate - but read it and weep :wink::wink: :oops:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192768852
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192768841

I do stop at Cromarty for a gel and a drink on the 40-mile leg. Only one set of lights (combined crossing - I'm not on the road at that point - I'm the person crossing the road) and occasional single-track road slowing/halts.

TBH - I only quoted the speed to show that an ultra-commute needn't be done at snail's pace. Pretty light winds that day.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    It's true that you Scotch fellas are nuts.

I'm actually an Englishman abroad :wink:

I actually grew up in Cambridge which prepared me really well for Scottish riding :wink: :roll:
  • meanredspider
    Just a quick question (or two): do you do the same route day in day out and slowely increasing the mileage of that one route? Or are you doing a much longer commute occasionally .. and hoping to increase it's frequecy to get the mileage up?

Reckon that's got to be a good way to introduce the increase in mileage. Guess it depends alot on the routes and the amount of climbing.

Another question - I know you've gone and gotten an expensive bike to do this on but any recommendations on the bike\kit .. I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels (to make the climbing easier and hopefully increase my speed on the flat too) but I'm worried about the longevity of lighter, more aero wheels.

I started by putting the longer route in once a week, then twice and building (as preparation for the Etape Caledonia). That's the one advantage of not actually living 25 miles from work - but 15.

I've used RS80 wheels for a long period and they were great (apart from the salt gumming up the spoke nipples) - much more comfortable. TBH, I don't know that my Volagi is much faster than my Focus Cayo. It's more comfortable and the disk brakes give me more confidence to push down hills and around "blind" corners - all of that makes a difference. I really like the Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres too - they're my current favourites - seemingly quick but also robust - and pretty cheap compared with others too.
  • meanredspider
    with approx 4500-5000ft of climbing.

That's epic climbing BTW - really impressive.

I find the only way to pace myself is to concentrate on how much effort I'm putting through my legs. That way I can stay in a comfortable zone - it's amazing how much difference in effort there is between achieving 18mph avg and 19mph avg - and therefore the fatigue levels. The other thing I've really noticed is that taking it easier at the beginning of a ride REALLY pays off. Some of my fastest rides have been when I started out thinking "OK, this ride is going to just be slow and comfortable" and then realising halfway through that I'm horsing along and full of energy.
  • daxplusplus
    The scenery/roads on my commute are just awesome and it's just inspiring to get out there - I live on the Cotswold escarpment and I work down in Cheltenham so I'm either slowly climbing towards "the edge" of the escarpment on the way into work or immediately grinding my way up it on the way home.

Also about 4 miles from where I live is an area around Stroud\Nailsworth known locally as the 5 valleys :twisted:

I started looking for additional climbs and increased miles becuase next year I'd like to have a go at the http://www.wiggledragonride.com/routes-gran-fondo.php - look at the profile on that! appox 11,000 feet of climbing over 128 miles.

Going back to the pacing - I think I just need to get it through my head to be more tactical and think off the effects of the ride over a week. But you know how it is - a slight decline, a bit of a tail wind or just some really smooth tarmac and the red mist descends and the speed swings up :-)

.. and if I actually see another rider in the distance. Well I think it's against the law not to go into pursuit mode.

strava profile
  • daxplusplus
    .. oh yeah, food wise. Big bowl of porridge with added peanut butter (cheap source of protein I reckon) and some honey for lunch - reckon that helps a lot. Looking at getting some milkshake powder to make up after commute recovery drinks too (I've heard how important it is to eat ASAP after exercise - so I aways try to get some food in me as soon as get into work/home).

strava profile
  • meanredspider
    Yup - I employed a nutritionalist to produce me a plan (that included a plan for days with the long commute in). 2 Oat breakfasts (one pre-morning ride and one at work), lots of protein during the day, recovery shakes after both rides and caseine shake at night.
  • daxplusplus
    You are seriously organised! I'll have to go and read up on caseine. Good luck with it all - it sounds like you have a cunning plan and are well on track.

strava profile
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I actually grew up in Cambridge which prepared me really well for Scottish riding :wink: :roll:

Snap. Where abouts?
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    lots of protein during the day

What do you eat / drink to get the protein during the day?

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Good work.

I've been doing a similar thing and increasing my mileage on my commute (although only 3 times per week which makes a massive difference) after trying out my first sportive (Dragon couple of weeks ago .. great fun). For context I'm curently upto approx 55-60 miles round trip with approx 4500-5000ft of climbing.

My biggest issues are:
    1. Climbing .. I could probably cycle for ever on the flat but the hills are killing me.
    2. Can't pace myself .. when I'm not on the hills I'm constantly trying to go as fast as I can. It turns into a kind of interval training - linking up fast parts of the trip, then coasting (less effort but still pedalling) and then back on the gas.

Food\Energy doesn't appear to be an issue for me (always been a bit of a scoffer and SHMBO does make exceedingly good food :-)

The upshot is I'm not sure if I could do this 4 times a week (let alone 5) so well done to you and good luck for the August trip.

Jeeeezus, you must be spending about 4 hours in the saddle a day. :shock:
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep - a couple of years back I was doing quite a few 1000 mile months and the food consumption is just mad. I'm now struggling to manage 600 a month and I do think my fitness has suffered. I'm not that motivated though at the moment - I need my mojo back!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daxplusplus
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Jeeeezus, you must be spending about 4 hours in the saddle a day. :shock:

It's only three times a week (those two days rest during the week and then the weekend make a massive difference).

I tend to do a longer journey in the morning (just over 31 miles - a lot of climbing - less than 2 hours) and then a shorter, quicker route on the way home (25 miles+ and less climbing - approx 1.5 hours but varies a lot depending on head wind though I've now got a route that misses some of the worst of the exposure to this).

It's easier to extend the morning ride - just get up a bit earlier (currently about 6:20am .. not extremely early) and get out of the door ASAP. Conviently it also tends to be a tail wind all the way in :-)

In the evening I want to get home for before 7pm .. not really any later or I won't see the kids. So I tend to go as fast as I can (head wind permitting) - hence me being more knackered than I'd like sometimes.

strava profile
  • daxplusplus
    @meanredspider I appreciate you may have no choice but have you thought of riding in 3 days a week rather than 5 .. those extra rest days may be a good idea from a trainin perspective so that you can really, really go for it?

I appreciate even suggesting this might be sacrilage :)

strava profile
  • meanredspider

Snap. Where abouts?

When I was small, I lived on the Huntingdon Rd (well, not in a shoebox ON it but next to it...) and went to school in Girton. More recently I lived in Gt Shelford. Folks & bro still live in Newmarket.
  • meanredspider
    lots of protein during the day

What do you eat / drink to get the protein during the day?

bc

Chicken, chicken and err, chicken. And steak, venison, sliced turkey. Some almonds & some peanut butter. And some Maximuscle diet bars.
  • meanredspider
    @meanredspider I appreciate you may have no choice but have you thought of riding in 3 days a week rather than 5 .. those extra rest days may be a good idea from a trainin perspective so that you can really, really go for it?

I appreciate even suggesting this might be sacrilage :)

I don't do every day - need the car occasionally and I use those journeys to bring in clean clothes and food so that I travel light. I find when I take a week off I get a step-change in performance and (bizarrely) I lose weight too. I haven't worked out the optimum way of doing this as I'm sure I wouldn't get awesomely fast and super-ripped if I stopped riding altogether... :wink:
  • meanredspider
    Wow - biblical weather in my 175th to 195th mile of the week: rain bouncing off the road, strong winds, thunder, lightning, fog, flooding and rivers on the road. I was drowned (almost literally). If anyone has any doubts about Di2 in foul weather, I think I can dispell them - I was cycling through 6-8" deep water in tipping rain and fog. Average speed down to 17.1mph - legs very tired. Feeling good though - all the better for the conditions