What is helmet fit?

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
How does one know if a helmet fits OK?

The reason I ask is because when choosing a motorcycle helmet you can test a few things to make sure you get a good fit.

Are there any similar rules to cycling helmets?

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Go to YouTube and search for "Fitting your bike helmet" there are loads of videos.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    A lot of manufacturers only do 2 sizes - S/M and large but the shapes tend to vary quite a bit. Some helmets have more adjustment features than others. Obviously, it needs to be comfy but beyond that there's no other essential requirements other than your own - e.g. bug net, replaceable pads, peak attachments. Wear one, rotate your head around, make sure it doesn't roll on your head and you can see if you tilt your head back. Keep 2 fingers between the chin strap and your chin. I can't think of anything else. Comfort above all but I found that my previous helmet didn't do too well with keeping sweat from dripping down into my eyes (small pads).
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You should measure your head with a tape measure, then you have the right size, all the usual and popular helmets come in three sizes, just match your head measurement with the size and go and try one on somewhere.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Adjust the helmet so it's comfortable and then put your hands over your head but a couple of inches away from the helmet. Lean forward and the helmet should stay on your head. The strap should then be set so it is comfortable but cannot be pulled over your chin. As long as you can do both those things then pick the one you like best and feels most comfortable.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I've always just tried a few on, adjusted the retention system inside (which nearly all have now), shake my head and make sure it doesnt move around. Then for the chin strap, just do it up, adjust it and move your head around to ensure it doesnt pinch/tighten too much in certain positions.

There's no exact science (that i'm aware of) if its comfy and feels secure, it fits.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    alidaf wrote:
    A lot of manufacturers only do 2 sizes - S/M and large but the shapes tend to vary quite a bit. Some helmets have more adjustment features than others. Obviously, it needs to be comfy but beyond that there's no other essential requirements other than your own - e.g. bug net, replaceable pads, peak attachments. Wear one, rotate your head around, make sure it doesn't roll on your head and you can see if you tilt your head back. Keep 2 fingers between the chin strap and your chin. I can't think of anything else. Comfort above all but I found that my previous helmet didn't do too well with keeping sweat from dripping down into my eyes (small pads).
    If you're struggling with the sweat have a look at these. http://www.haloheadbanduk.com/
    Works well and I don't even notice it under the helmet.