20MPH average on Commute to work

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    fossyant wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Nicely done, 20mph moving average is rare enough for me, a door to door 20mph just wouldn't happen without no traffic and ignoring lights. As with JG, the City (and other cyclists) kills averages

This is why I find Strava and SCR on the commute a bit meaningless, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd best bike carrying a rucksack which usually weighs in at 10kg+ and have to stop for traffic and lights etc, it doesn't feel like a good representation of my abilities on a bike... I only register my club runs on Strava

I've actually got some good segments on climbs in on my fixed, loaded with panniers, it's not much slower than my road bike. :D

Yeah it's possible to get some good speeds up on the commute but it's not just down to you, you're at the mercy of the traffic in front and lights etc etc
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Well I was chuffed to get a new PB on Wednesday, 42:31 for 19.7km, thats a smidgen under 17.4mph moving average and just under 14mph door to door inc stops. One reason was I was unusually early so traffic wasn't so bad. Lights and traffic at normal time will make it really hard to better that.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You guys are all sooooooo slooooow!!!
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12859843
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Headhuunter
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Yeah that just sounds like utter bulsh!t... 23+mph average on a commute through London?! No way...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Yeah that just sounds like utter bulsh!t... 23+mph average on a commute through London?! No way...

No, it's all true. The OP of that thread drives a big car and sends his kids to private school, so it must be true.

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/56506836

Nice to be able to prove it... annoyingly though I started the clock rather than use the 60 second countdown and needed a few seconds to fish the bloody phone out of my pocket! If you knock these extra seconds off... 20 mph.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM

Nice to be able to prove it... annoyingly though I started the clock rather than use the 60 second countdown and needed a few seconds to fish the bloody phone out of my pocket! If you knock these extra seconds off... 20 mph.
    So near, and yet, so far. If you took that cape off, your improved aerodynamics would have given you the 20.

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

So near, and yet, so far. If you took that cape off, your improved aerodynamics would have given you the 20.

I did do it - the few seconds due to Endos foibles took it just over the required time. I checked the vid play back and it was just over 20mph.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    edited June 2012
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I did do it - the few seconds due to Endos foibles took it just over the required time. I checked the vid play back and it was just over 20mph.

Sorry mate, your proof says 19.7.

• Headhuunter

That's fine, a 20mph average ride through the country, I've hit that on club rides out in the country but through London with its traffic, lights, lemming pedestrians etc would be downright dangerous if not impossible... I shouldn't think Chris Hoy himself could manage a 23mph commute through London, unless perhaps he was working a night shift and travelled at about 3am
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Managed an average of 19mph last night going into and out of Reading centre, with the fastest mile 2 mins 04 secs.

Was slightly slower this morning.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    20mph average ... through London with its traffic, lights, lemming pedestrians etc would be downright dangerous if not impossible...

Not this old chestnut again. Yes, people have done 20mph+ moving average commutes, and a few 20mph+ overall averages. Yes, through London. No, not all at 3am. Yes, there is plenty of evidence on Strava - look at the SCR group. No, they didn't jump red lights, kill kittens or sleep with your nan while doing so. Yes, there are hundreds of variables that mean people's commutes are not comparable to others and a rider averaging 20mph on their commute should not be considered faster or better than another rider who averages 15mph on a different route on a different day with different conditions. No-one should really care about average speed on the commute or comparing their speeds to others. Is the 23mph claim accurate or just a bit of willy-waving exaggeration? Who knows, and at the end of the day who really cares?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    The only one time I have averaged under 20 mph is one day back in 2006. It was the first time JZed had ridden without stabilisers, so I swung by his place and rode in with him to Tower Hill. There where a few wobbles, but with a little encouragment I got him there safely.

So I am not sure why you are writing about an event that happens for 99.999710228919154 % of my rides.
    (I started commuting in by bike on August 17th 2005, at 7.03am. Since then I have ridden to or from work 3,451 times)

Tonight I will probably average over 23, and thats with 3 metres of buble wrap down my bib shorts.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    rubertoe wrote:
    It stays 20mph till the last mile as I hit a stream of traffic lights I'd say about 10 in the space of the mile I diregard that mile as I never get a chance to get to full speed, so not door to door as I work in a college so ramps etc. and country runs are by far faster I hit 22mph average out in the country. mind you only ever did that once wind assisted,

Its not a full commute then, its just a bit of your commute that you average 20mph on.

I average 25mph for bits of my commute.

Only bit I exceed 20mph is the bit when I accelerate onto the motorway / A road roundabout. Fear is a great motivator
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I've broken the 20mph moving average on the way home from work, never riding to work though - it must be the motivation of getting home. In fact, until earlier this month my fastest commute home was quicker than my 10 mile TT pace, then I only went and smashed the 27 minute barrier in my last club 10! I believe BOOM is the correct term.

Yes, I am a slow tester. Maybe if I move house to somewhere at the end of a TT course I will manage a better time?
  • Headhuunter
    May be it's accurate then... I don't ride my commute with a bike computer but I can't imagine it's possible to average 20 mph + on my route or any route through the city or around the west end etc. my commute doesn't include embankment though, which apparently is a very fat stretch
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Nope never managed it. Don't think I could at the time I ride and the route I take not to mention is being a bit long.

It's not really a proof of anything either to be honest, probably the rider is the smallest part of the factors that allow one commute to be super fast and another not so, time of day, wind, distance, route, traffic lights are all far more important, of course you could only really see that by using a powermeter to see how much a commute average power of x would yield in the varying conditions.

If you want to see where you're at against the rest of the amateur world then the 3 lap thing is the best for most London based people.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com