Tyre Choice... HELP....

Abyss2010
Abyss2010 Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok, Got the Maxxis Advantage 2.25's that came on my 5 pro. To be honest i love the tyres and they havent let me down until now. There great for an all round tyre in varied conditions and roll pretty well. But Ive shredded the side walls with some hefty riding. Can anyone advise on a tyre very similar to the advantage that can take some heavier abuse without going to a bigger DH type tyre.

Comments

• Garett
    Garett Posts: 29
    I think the Schwalbe Nobby Nic is a similar tyre, I have them on mine and the GF has maxxis advantage on hers and the tread patterns are very similar.
    Can't comment on the robustness of the Nobby nic although I've had mine 9 months and they've been spot on, have taken a fair bit of abuse and I've only had 1 (slow) puncture. They do come in different compounds so maybe the evolution version has a stronger construction than the cheaper version?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Different brands have different names for reinforced side walls - Schwalbe calls their Snakeskin, Continental call theirs Protection.

I currently run a Nic up front, with an X-King Black Chilli rear. It's good - decent grip in most conditions, and haven't punctured in months. Running tubes.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I think Maxxis do the 2.25 Advantages with an EXO sidewall which is tougher than the normal sidewall with a small weight penalty.
  • I have been looking for something similar, and am on the brink of buying Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili with 180tpi (850g). MEDIUM / LOOSE / MUD
    Baron doesn’t have many write up’s but all are good and it appears a good choice for tough British conditions. There is also a stronger UST, plus the big brother Der Baron (DH).
    It is supposed to handle rocks but it is not a hard pack tyre. So not sure how it will perform on roads or hard pack.
    LRRs
  • Abyss2010 wrote:
    Ok, Got the Maxxis Advantage 2.25's that came on my 5 pro. To be honest i love the tyres and they havent let me down until now. There great for an all round tyre in varied conditions and roll pretty well. But Ive shredded the side walls with some hefty riding. Can anyone advise on a tyre very similar to the advantage that can take some heavier abuse without going to a bigger DH type tyre.

Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili 3ply 180tpi folding tyre.
    LRRs