Fiki:k Kurve - Any experiences/feedback yet?

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited July 2012 in Road buying advice
Can anyone provide any feedback on what it is like (not including the BR review)

Currently I run a Arione, but started losing a little feeling after a few hours in the saddle. I've recently tried an Antares thanks to another BR member, but am still not sure.

I was considering a Versus model for the cut-out, but have read that some people feel the ridges on them. So I was wondering if the new Kurve was all it was cracked up to be for real people. Thanks
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Mate rides one, loves it.

I'm an Aliante fan but may give the 'bull' one a go.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I hope I can help!

I was a big fan of the Arione, finding it comfortable for the sit bones. Unfortunately it affected the blood flow to my 'special area' so I had to make a change. I tried the Versus model first. That definitely helped with the pressure to the perineum, but as you mentioned it was a nightmare for the sit bones. By moving material away from the central channel the saddle has two ridges - if your sit bones just happen to match these (as mine did) the saddle was seriously uncomfortable.

Following that I experimented with different shapes / models including Specialized Toupes and Fizik Aliantes etc etc. Nothing matched the comfort on the sit bones of the Arione, so I was very hopeful when I saw the Kurve models launched.

For once I didn't charge in and buy one! I contacted Fizik to find out where I could get a demo, as they had literally only been released that week. A few days later one of the LBS had the full range in stock for demo. Lesson number one here - don't listen to the Fizik marketing nonsense about your flexibility matching the saddle (Bull, Snake, Chameleon etc), it's your sit bones that dictate the saddle profile you'll suit. Using this as a guide I tried a bull model first - didn't suit me at all. I then borrowed a Snake - the shape based on an Arione.

I can honestly say it was a revelation from the very first ride. It came already fitted in the softer setting (there are 2 firmness options) and the biggest compliment I can pay the saddle is that after half an hour of riding (when the novelty of a new toy wore off) I completely forgot all about it. There is a springiness to the saddle so that you sit 'in' rather than sit 'on' it. Over seriously poor road surfaces you really feel this minor trampoline effect, but on normal roads it just feels like a well padded saddle, when in fact there is virtually no padding at all.

After 4 weeks the LBS sent out a search party for the saddle so I had to buy one! Mine cost me an eye-popping £175, more than twice what you'd find an Arione for. However, it has transformed by comfort on the bike and so was worth every penny. I regularly ride between 3 and 4 hours, with the odd sportive of 6hrs +. A sore backside and pressure on the luggage is no longer an issue. Even when riding on successive days I don't think about soreness after a few minutes of riding. I also think it is a seriously good looking saddle.

Downsides (price apart!)? The rear edges of the saddle are protected by hard plastic. This itself would be very easy to damage if rubbed against a wall etc. I am paranoid in leaning my bike against anything! The colour choice is limited to 1. Also, the amount of give in the saddle - a TT speed merchant will possibly want a much firmer saddle for power transfer, so that depends on your priorities. As I mentioned there is a firmer setting that might help anyway, but I have no desire to try it as I am happy as it is. Finally, the saddle rails are ovalised in shape, so check your seat post clamp can take them (they are the same shape as the Fizik carbon rails). I have a seat mast with a stubby cap and had to source a different clamp from Ritchey - no big deal and just a few £ to sort.

In summary - one of the best investments I have ever made in cycling, it has transformed my comfort and therefore my enjoyment on the bike. Hope that helps, just make sure you get a demo version or two to try.
  • ajb72
    Just realised that was rathe long winded! Cut to paragraph 4 for the actual answer!! :)
  • brettjmcc
    Thanks Nap and ajb72.

Seat post is OK, its a top/bottom FSA clamp. I see also that Bike-Discount has them going for under £130, so may give it a go. Thanks
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • ajb72
    That's the best price I've heard of.
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    I'm not sure the Fizik blurb regarding matching flexibility is all BS. I've just tried out the demo arione, antares and aliante. I amount of pressure on your perineum is definitely affected by the flexibility of your lower spine. The arione is completely flat fore and aft so if your spine wont flex more pressure will come onto your perineum than if you are bendy. The antares has a little curve built in and the anliante a little more still. Having tried all 3 I've found I'm a "chameleon" and have just ordered the antares. I did find that very small tweaks to the saddle postition made big differences to comfort. I didn't go for the curve because I've become a bit of a weight weenie 220g vs 145g for the antares braided carbon but reading ajb72's post that might not have been the best decision!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    good experiences highlighted by ajb72, I don't believe the marketing bs from Fizik about flexibility of the spine and indeed, the whole 'sit bone' thing spouted by other manufacturers.

The Aliante is my saddle of choice, has been since they came out, but even over 80m or so miles, discomfort creeps in, so the Kurve series is interesting.

Yes they're a lot of money for a saddle, but as ajb72 states, "one of the best investments I have ever made in cycling, it has transformed my comfort and therefore my enjoyment on the bike."

And that, to me is the most important thing.
  • ajb72
    giant man wrote:
    good experiences highlighted by ajb72, I don't believe the marketing bs from Fizik about flexibility of the spine and indeed, the whole 'sit bone' thing spouted by other manufacturers.

The Aliante is my saddle of choice, has been since they came out, but even over 80m or so miles, discomfort creeps in, so the Kurve series is interesting.

Yes they're a lot of money for a saddle, but as ajb72 states, "one of the best investments I have ever made in cycling, it has transformed my comfort and therefore my enjoyment on the bike."

Superb, glad we are friends again - I promise not to laugh next time you mention Rapha winter gloves :D:wink:
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Demo one before you buy. I got the Bull but think the chameleon would have been better. The Fizik flexiblity chart thing is not relaiable. The saddle is good, not worth £200 but for £125 from Bike Discount is a good deal. I got mine from them two weeks ago and it arrived within 3 working days. Jury is still out but its no worse than the Brooks it has replaced and my bike now looks SWEET so i guess thats the main thing :lol:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    ajb72 wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Superb, glad we are friends again - I promise not to laugh next time you mention Rapha winter gloves :D:wink:
    when were we not friends? come on, and it bet you will laugh IF I mention those damn gloves again lol!
  • ajb72
    giant man wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:
    giant man wrote:

when were we not friends? come on, and it bet you will laugh IF I mention those damn gloves again lol!

You're spot on, I can't wait :lol:
  • brettjmcc
    well, it arrived the other week and I personally think for me it may feel worse than my Arione... I am going to keep tweaking it. Maybe I need to get used to it it a bit more, but at times, I don't feel it's there and then others it's quite painful almost.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    brettjmcc wrote:
    well, it arrived the other week and I personally think for me it may feel worse than my Arione... I am going to keep tweaking it. Maybe I need to get used to it it a bit more, but at times, I don't feel it's there and then others it's quite painful almost.
    Ditto :roll: weird
  • ajb72
    Did you guys not get a demo to try first? I cannot believe you find this uncomfortable, unless you got the wrong shape for your sit bones. Hope it works out for you anyway.
  • brettjmcc
    ajb72 wrote:
    Did you guys not get a demo to try first? I cannot believe you find this uncomfortable, unless you got the wrong shape for your sit bones. Hope it works out for you anyway.

In a word, no; because I have not found anywhere round by me that will offer this, it's either buy it and try it, or don't. The Arione had felt fine generally on longer rides say of 3 hours (but the numbness issue was there), but the sit bones are more noticeable. Like I said I will continue to try it, maybe the lack of padding and the way it works is showing up that my sit bones are better suited to a different saddle in the range. Maybe a Chameleon, who knows.

As I said, it is wierd, as at times on it, I don't notice it then I do, quite harshly.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    brettjmcc wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

In a word, no; because I have not found anywhere round by me that will offer this, it's either buy it and try it, or don't. The Arione had felt fine generally on longer rides say of 3 hours (but the numbness issue was there), but the sit bones are more noticeable. Like I said I will continue to try it, maybe the lack of padding and the way it works is showing up that my sit bones are better suited to a different saddle in the range. Maybe a Chameleon, who knows.

As I said, it is wierd, as at times on it, I don't notice it then I do, quite harshly.

If you don't get on with it and decide to sell it then give me a shout :)
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ajb72
    This just highlights how crucial the correct shape is for comfort. Fizik's theory on flexibility had me trying a Chameleon first and I had a similar result to bretjmcc, it placed my sit bones in just the wrong area of the saddle. The Snake model suited me to a tee. If it fits you will find new levels of comfort! If not, it's a pretty firm saddle with minimal padding, as the cushioning is in the way it gives under rider weight.

Hope you can get it to work for you guys
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    brettjmcc wrote:

Chelmer Cycles has demo versions of all three - although they're asking the full rrp and it would be a bit off to try it there any buy online...

Anyway, I tried the Snake as I used to use the Arione but ditched it due to the numb bits problem. Moved to a Speccy Toupe which isn't quite as comfortable, but less numbness. I was hoping the Kurve would be the best of both worlds, but alas no. Still caused numbness downstairs and yet not quite as plush as I remember the Arione to be.
    I'd happily spend the £200 if it was perfect, but unfortunately not for my posterior. The search goes on.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Meesterbond, can I suggest that you have a good bike fit, I had the same problem as you and after the fit with Adrian Timmis, the problem has been resolved by about 90%, I ride Ariones on all my bikes and Adrian convinced me that the position was the problem, Instead of paying £200 you might find that a good bike fit for £150 saves you money in the long term?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've been Retul bike fitted and it's spot on. Made a massive difference, in fact, but that's for another thread.

The saddle isn't actually a problem, I just had an opportunity to try a Kurve (and I need to change the saddle anyway as the current one doesn't work as well with the colour scheme on the new bike :oops: ) so I thought I'd give it a go, thinking it might be perfect.

I'll probably just end up getting a black Toupe, but whilst I need to change it, thought I'd give some other options a go.